Anyone here ever used a Posch cone splitter?

njc110381

Hi guys. After snapping the shaft on my Hycrack I've been looking around for a new cone splitter. I know some folk don't like them but for me, an occasional user, they offer much less bother when it comes to storage and also maintenance of hoses etc! Well I've spotted a few of these in use on the continent and they look great.

The latest ones also come with a cone stop. I assume some sort of clutch that can be disengaged with a stop bar, a lot like a chipper. That's a big safety improvement vs the string around the stop lever that I used to use with my Hycrack! :001_rolleyes:

So, has anyone used one here in the UK? Or do we have any non UK members who have one? I'm thinking of getting one imported, but as you can imagine as a non German speaking Englishman it's not going to be that simple! Also I'm a private user so business rules/approval need not apply....

I ordered a replacement shaft and bearings but sadly they don't fit my old splitter. I gave the serial number and the parts were sent out based on that. I get the feeling it has been repaired and adjusted in the past as it's very old, and genuine parts no longer fit....

Have you seen the Posch? It's a whole different ballgame to the Hycrack. Three times the size, clutch on a safety bar that stops the cone if the guard is pushed (much like the roller stop on a chipper). It looks very appealing and being banned for commercial work in Germany now, available fairly cheaply

Here's a short Youtube video. The top bar has some kind of clutch arrangement fitted to it which disengages the cone in an emergency. Much better than the "pull the string that you've tied to the hand throttle" system on the Hycrack type machines. It always worried me a little with mine. By the time the flywheel on the mog had come to a stop it had done a good few more turns! :thumbdown:

Besides that, this looks far more industrial! I reckon it would take some breaking?!

[ame]

[/ame]

• 1 month later...

Well it took a bit of searching, chasing German dealers and eventually giving up and getting my German forester mate to buy one for me because nobody would post one, but I finally have one of these things on the way. I can't wait to try it out!

Now for the question of CE marking. Is that a British thing or European? Luckily it's only for home use so it doesn't much matter to me, but I'm wondering why we don't see them here? If anything, with the cone stop feature it's safer than the screw splitters that are generally available here. I wonder why we never imported them? :confused1:

You going to be using it for billets or logs? Just the Hycrack is for logs (at least mine was) and that looks made for billets. If one of them billets starts spinning :scared1:

If you offer the billet up to the cone at a very slight angle so that if it were to " pick up " it would have to drive the end on the ground through the dirt to get past center .

You going to be using it for billets or logs? Just the Hycrack is for logs (at least mine was) and that looks made for billets. If one of them billets starts spinning :scared1:

I'll be using the machine for both billets and logs. There's an optional extra table that attaches to the cut outs that you can see in the face around where the cone sticks out. That essentially turns it into a super heavy duty Hycrack that can handle short lengths without them spinning on you.

That will be the next challenge. There is no table with it and I've never seen a picture of one, but I have been give a fairly detailed description by a German user who used to have one so I will fabricate a table to his spec. Photos would be very handy at this point but I can't find any articles showing one in use. I don't even know if it was an original Posch part or something that another company offered as an add on? Once I have the machine here I can take more photos and have a closer look to see what's what and go from there.

I think the design works so that even with the splitter lowered to it's lowest point, as long as the billet touches the ground vertically it will be too long to pass the side bar when it starts to spin.

Edited by njc110381