Is a >6" chipper needed?

Mark Wileman

Hey guys,

Starting out in arb, still in two minds on whether to try and get on the books or jump straight into self-employed and accept the facts that as a sub-contractor with all the tickets but very little experience, the wage won't be great!

If I go down the self employed route I will be looking for my own work in between subbing to firms.

I'm just toying with some ideas of a setup, in regards to chippers. How many guys here use a small chipper, less than 6"? I've seen some of the 4" vertical feed chippers, that don't have to be towed. Ideally something that I could put on the back of my pick up, and tow a trailer behind. Chip into trailer and crosscut everything over 4/5" and stack on top of chip (for firewood/carving/charcoal). Of course this method is a lot more work than sending whole trees through a 12" into a Unimog but as I said I am starting out and if I do get offered any bigger jobs that require it, I can just hire and price that in.

Who uses smaller chippers here and just how much can I expect from them?

Thanks as always in advance :D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think smaller chippers (gravity fed) are hard work. BUT they have a place if a lot of your customers have trees/shrubs which are small enough and they want to keep the chippings.

The above case is further strengthened if it would be a long drag to take the brash to where a towed chipper would have to be used.

You may well find that once you have used a gravity fed chipper and a towed hydraulic feed, you would never again use the gravity fed one.

There are many on here who use small chippers, and many who dont.

there are good reasons for both approaches.

PS the > sign needs to be the other way round (pedanticus maximus)

Good luck

The same way I priced jobs as an apprentice carpenter 10 years ago, asking advice from experienced people, applying skills learnt during training courses and ignoring the guys who preach that you have to spend 5 years dragging bush before you'll be allowed to put a harness on, let alone quote a job. :)

The same way I priced jobs as an apprentice carpenter 10 years ago, asking advice from experienced people, applying skills learnt during training courses and ignoring the guys who preach that you have to spend 5 years dragging bush before you'll be allowed to put a harness on, let alone quote a job. :)

Totally agree! Keep the good spirit going big chap [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I can see a good coin being made, why not add a small hand held stump grinder to it if economy allows it ?[/url]

I see what you did there, would stumpgrindingdirect have one for sale by chance? :)

Economy is tight, I won't be starting until next year, so all my pennies at the moment are focused on saws, tree ID books and ArborWear baseball caps. :001_cool:

I see what you did there, would stumpgrindingdirect have one for sale by chance? :)

Economy is tight, I won't be starting until next year, so all my pennies at the moment are focused on saws, tree ID books and ArborWear baseball caps. :001_cool:

Unfortunately not got any grinders for sale. One thing at a time, brick by brick, and before you know it you will be very good on it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk