Cookes 10 ton winch

chopper brown

Looking for a bit of help please.

I've got a major with a Cookes winch and I'm looking to either fit a new eye with the good rope that's left or replace the cable with a new one.

Can anyone point me the the right direction as to who I need to speak to. I'm unsure if the 14mm rope that's on it is big enough and also if I terminate the rope with a new eye what to use either a crimp or bulldog clamps?

Any help is mutchly appreciated.

Jim

Looking for a bit of help please.

I've got a major with a Cookes winch and I'm looking to either fit a new eye with the good rope that's left or replace the cable with a new one.

Can anyone point me the the right direction as to who I need to speak to. I'm unsure if the 14mm rope that's on it is big enough and also if I terminate the rope with a new eye what to use either a crimp or bulldog clamps?

Any help is mutchly appreciated.

Jim

I would say no, these old winches are massively over engineered and pull far more than their designated rating. The old clunker of a boughton on my Nuffield can break a 1" steel rope which in theory it should never achieve. Err on the side of caution and go bigger.

Bob

The last time I had to replace a winch cable on my old boughton I used a company up in Scotland called A&B services they supplied me with plenty of advice and a cable that stood up to a lot of very heavy use and when it came to terminating the cable after finally snapping the first 10ft I installed a wedge and eye socket that I think was made by a company called Crosby also supplied by A&B services the other one to try would be JP Wilsons as they deal with many manufacturers, I hope this may help.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Not fancy going synthetic cable for a bit of safety?9bfc4d91e279685dd7846fd6b4473bf8.jpg

The larger rope should be strong enough and so much easier to handle, guess it depends what your doing with it.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

What company is this please? The tel no is for Ruftraks Lifting but I can't find a website. I've found Jeely Sports website - have you used them before? I'm after about 120' of rope to go down my well to support a water pump and pipework/cabling etc.

Dammit! A Google search didn't bring up their website but just typing in their name to the web bar did!

4dfd155c53d0e22c9671dbed785a8cf8.jpg

Used this bloke a few times to replace our vehicles winch lines and it's very good stuff and good service.

Other company is new to me and had just looked for larger diameter line as want 20m of around 16mm stuff as a heavy winch line extension for double pulling so can't really say anything about them.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app