Vermeer sc252 dual wheels....

swinny

Hi,

Im after the opinion of other owners or people that have owned the vermeer 252's...

Do the dual wheels help much with traction at all?

I know they help it be more stable but im wondering about traction?

Did some stumps the other day on some inclines and bankings and was hard work to get the grinder up to the stumps!

Will the duals help with this or are they just a waste of 420.00?

Not sure weather to get some duals or go for a tracked machine...

Also worried with the duals on, on boggy ground it would still sink and make it worse for recovery and make more of a mess in gardens?

Many thanks

Hi,

Im after the opinion of other owners or people that have owned the vermeer 252's...

Do the dual wheels help much with traction at all?

I know they help it be more stable but im wondering about traction?

Did some stumps the other day on some inclines and bankings and was hard work to get the grinder up to the stumps!

Will the duals help with this or are they just a waste of 420.00?

Not sure weather to get some duals or go for a tracked machine...

Also worried with the duals on, on boggy ground it would still sink and make it worse for recovery and make more of a mess in gardens?

Many thanks

i take it you didnt get them off nick then ,:001_rolleyes:

Never found they helped with traction on a banking but ment you could travel up at an angle without falling over which made it easier for the machine to climb.

On wet ground it ment the front didn't sink at all and really made a big difference to general ground damage being avoided but turning without unlocking 1 side was slightly harder to do. Only got stuck 1ns bad enough I couldn't wrestle it out myself by hand but I think no matter what machine you had it would have got stuck in that spot without boards down and anything bigger would have taken more getting back out.

Had seen a picture of a 252 that had been converted to tracked by mounting on a large Barrow undercarriage which looked a really good idea and could be a lot cheaper than getting a whole new machine should you decide that's the way to go.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

Never found they helped with traction on a banking but ment you could travel up at an angle without falling over which made it easier for the machine to climb.

On wet ground it ment the front didn't sink at all and really made a big difference to general ground damage being avoided but turning without unlocking 1 side was slightly harder to do. Only got stuck 1ns bad enough I couldn't wrestle it out myself by hand but I think no matter what machine you had it would have got stuck in that spot without boards down and anything bigger would have taken more getting back out.

Had seen a picture of a 252 that had been converted to tracked by mounting on a large Barrow undercarriage which looked a really good idea and could be a lot cheaper than getting a whole new machine should you decide that's the way to go.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

Yes spotted that picture and saved it.

Was thinking along the lines of that 425.00 is a good chunk towards that conversion

• 3 years later...
I just bought an sc252 and I was given an extra set of wheels which are supposed to be the Duelies. This set has a long Center type axle that sticks out of it with I believe four holes on a for bolts

Don’t grind on any slope or bank with out them... they have a habit of going over without them! Good machines though and with an impact wrench a few minutes to take off the wheels they still fit through a standard gate.

6 hours ago, MattyF said:

Don’t grind on any slope or bank with out them... they have a habit of going over without them! Good machines though and with an impact wrench a few minutes to take off the wheels they still fit through a standard gate.

I've bought the SC292 a few months ago with dual wheels. Excellent bit of kit. I find I have as much traction as I did with the SC30TX,  wish I'd bought one years ago and listened to the Wise Men on here who counselled me not to touch the tracked, hydraulic piece of crap. I must learn to listen and not be so pig headed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1