hydraulic oil HLP46

Paul in the woods

I need 20l of hydraulic oil for my small digger that's on order and I've been told it needs to meet HLP46 classification. I can find places selling ISO 46 hydraulic oil locally but it doesn't seem to meet the HLP classification.

I'd rather buy a brand of oil I recognise as the machine is new but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells stuff that meets HLP. A bit of research shows I need "DIN 51524, Part 2, Category HLP" but many places either don't list their specifications or just say "DIN 51524, Part 2" which I don't think is exactly right.

Can anyone recommend an online store that sells a good range of hydraulic oils? Also, apart from agricultural merchants, can anyone suggest where I'm I likely to find the oil locally? Thanks.

most large machinery manufactures have there own branded oils to stop warranty problems i would use that in a new machine for the small cost saving of using a poor quality cheap oil

I've asked the manufacturer and they didn't recommend a brand. I want a known brand for the reason you state, to minimise any quibble if I have any problems.

Thanks, there's isn't in stock by the looks of it.

I've found a few more companies online but it's been very hard to track down via google.

To answer my own question I have found places selling heating oil often stock agricultural lubricants - I'll be phoning my local depots today as they don't list stuff online.

Can I ask why a new machine needs oil.?
Yes. :wink:

The machine is sort of flat packed, so the oil isn't in it. I think it would have made more sense to supply to oil but then there wasn't much choice for the price I paid.

Anyway, I've picked up some Total AZOLLA ZS locally so panic over. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Now, what's the lifespan of such oils? Nothing in the user guide and I expect many small diggers never have a change of oil in their life, but if I was being pedantic how many work hours/years would be sensible to change the oil on an average micro/mini-digger?