Chipper bearing life...

Ty Korrigan

Question for the honourable members of this parish...

What is the highest number of hours you have got out of a set of chipper bearings?

On our Quadchip (997hours) we've changed the massive double inboard roller bearing once and it was in perfect nick, could have gone on for another couple of hundred.

The outboard one hasbeen a sore trial and has been changed 4 times so 5 bearings including the original.

Burst grease pipes have caused 2 failures (greasing when cold or too much pressure) too much grease another reason bearings have failed by popping their seals.

Now we must change the flywheel or get it re-conditioned locally as the axle has worn with the constant bearing changes.

Ty

Very slightly off topic, just bought a quadtrac 160, not greased it as yet, or read the manual. How many pumps on the grease gun? Do I want to see old grease coming out at the other end somewhere. Thanks in advance.

I've found over the years that it's best to give new bearings a shot of grease before use.

Bearing races are lubricated internally on assembly, but a pump before use fills the grease way in the housing with grease, rather than allow debris to block it.

You can then grease at the specified intervals with some certainty that the grease will actually get to the bearings.

Either all my grease guns are knack'd or the grease-shaft (whatever its called) on my Greenmech is the size of a cathedral.

The rear bearing (purge greased) takes about 60- yes sixty pumps of HT grease before it oozes out around the flywheel. Mind you, 7 years on there is absolutely no play in the flywheel. Well pleased but I get through some grease.

Hats off to the unbreakable timberwolf! Very, very different from my experience, but hey - good on ya!