Any body have a Belarus?

andy cobb

Need a slightly bigger tractor to run the splitter as the 75 hp zetor isn't really up to it .

A friend has a 90 hp Belarus with damaged front diff, I'm considering buying it and just making it 2 wheel drive.

It'll probably only run firewood machinery and do a bit of forwarding but would appreciate any info on reliability, usability, parts availability etc

Thanks for any input- Andy

No direct experience of them (had a few zetors) but think they generally started improving from the 90s onward, with anything before this being similar to zetors- generally not short of metal and good enough but poor quality components letting them down.

New zetors are meant to be phenomenal tractors, perhaps the same can be said for Belarus but iv not ever seen a Belarus dealer around so parts could be tricky to get hold off?

No direct experience of them (had a few zetors) but think they generally started improving from the 90s onward, with anything before this being similar to zetors- generally not short of metal and good enough but poor quality components letting them down.

New zetors are meant to be phenomenal tractors, perhaps the same can be said for Belarus but iv not ever seen a Belarus dealer around so parts could be tricky to get hold off?

Off the top of my head I think it's m reg. My main concern is if the brakes are any better than the ur1 zetors. The brakes on my 7245 are quite possibly constructed from bread rolls pressing onto a dinner plate and it makes for some interesting moments when winching or forwarding on hills!

Need a slightly bigger tractor to run the splitter as the 75 hp zetor isn't really up to it .

A friend has a 90 hp Belarus with damaged front diff, I'm considering buying it and just making it 2 wheel drive.

It'll probably only run firewood machinery and do a bit of forwarding but would appreciate any info on reliability, usability, parts availability etc

Thanks for any input- Andy

my mate has 1, doing just that ,basic as basic can be ,its his 2nd one

Off the top of my head I think it's m reg. My main concern is if the brakes are any better than the ur1 zetors. The brakes on my 7245 are quite possibly constructed from bread rolls pressing onto a dinner plate and it makes for some interesting moments when winching or forwarding on hills!

Yes, I had a 7045 and a 9540, both had the potential to be good basic tractors but I had to give up on them in the end as I do a fair bit of roadwork (fencing contractor) and the brakes were just too unreliable and dangerous, I re did all the brakes with new parts- still rubbish! Got a Same and that stops on the spot- different ballgame with proper 4 wheel braking- not just through the 4wd system like a lot of other tractors.

Was a very long time ago we used to run a 90hp 4wd balarus that ended up as a tow motor for pulling lorries off the field, it was a bloody nightmare to start and had a habit of blowing hydraulic pumps to pieces if we used a forklift on the back, had a keyway affair driving the rear wheel hubs that forever kept coming loose and it was terrifying driving it on the road, can't think of anything good to say about it except it could pull like a train for 90hp and had unbelievably good traction, that's why it got used as the tow tractor.

Was a very long time ago we used to run a 90hp 4wd balarus that ended up as a tow motor for pulling lorries off the field, it was a bloody nightmare to start and had a habit of blowing hydraulic pumps to pieces if we used a forklift on the back, had a keyway affair driving the rear wheel hubs that forever kept coming loose and it was terrifying driving it on the road, can't think of anything good to say about it except it could pull like a train for 90hp and had unbelievably good traction, that's why it got used as the tow tractor.

Yes, this is the same with zetors-pull like nothing else, someone told me that they are generally heavier for their horsepower they use lots of steel, 'if you can't tie knots just tie lots' or use lots, lesser quality steel so need more of it. Doesn't bother me, a light tractor is no use to anyone unless you are crossing a bog!

I`ve had 2 over about the last 20 years, first a 862, 90hp, then a 572 70hp with loader, and a friend of mine has had 3 and still has one on a land drive forwarding trailer. Parts wise Browns of Liversedge, the importers I believe will supply mail order next day.

They are a very basic tractor, with most things worked by rods and leavers.

Starting wise, they start on 24volt, but when running revert to 12volt, lights blower motor etc, I had no problem with them starting winter or summer as long as both batteries are ok, if one battery is poor, the relay that swops the battery connections from series to parallel wont operate correctly.

Brakes, they are a dry disk set up, just about adequate for the tractor and small load/trailer if adjusted correctly, with a large trailer they will need a lot of leg pressure, trailer brakes are air, make a huge difference. Air brakes was ok for me, as my trailers are air braked for unimog. some dealers retrofitted hydraulic brakes I believe.

Cant say I ever had a problem with the keyway scraggs said about on the rear stub axle, although it made it easy to alter the track width.

The earlier one I had a 1986 I think it was, had a direct link from the steering wheel to box, the later one a 1996, had a more conventional hydraulic orbital valve under the dash and was better on the road the older 90hp.

Biggest problem I had was a head gasket, Browns supplied a new gasket with a modification.

Servicing was easy as all filters bar fuel filter are washable and reusable, fuel filter has a larger pre filter blowl with cleanable screen in so main filters last well, and most other repairs are simple as most items are external.

Some of the operational functions are a bit quirky, gears non synchromesh, doesn't lead well for multiple drivers jumping on.

Good on fuel.

If you want to know more give me a shout on pm

The front axle problem on the one your considering, are you/your friend sure its in the diff? I have heard of one with the bevel gears going to the portal axle part, failing.

The is a overload dog clutch in the propshaft, that could of gone or slipping and making a noise.

I`ve had 2 over about the last 20 years, first a 862, 90hp, then a 572 70hp with loader, and a friend of mine has had 3 and still has one on a land drive forwarding trailer. Parts wise Browns of Liversedge, the importers I believe will supply mail order next day.

They are a very basic tractor, with most things worked by rods and leavers.

Starting wise, they start on 24volt, but when running revert to 12volt, lights blower motor etc, I had no problem with them starting winter or summer as long as both batteries are ok, if one battery is poor, the relay that swops the battery connections from series to parallel wont operate correctly.

Brakes, they are a dry disk set up, just about adequate for the tractor and small load/trailer if adjusted correctly, with a large trailer they will need a lot of leg pressure, trailer brakes are air, make a huge difference. Air brakes was ok for me, as my trailers are air braked for unimog. some dealers retrofitted hydraulic brakes I believe.

Cant say I ever had a problem with the keyway scraggs said about on the rear stub axle, although it made it easy to alter the track width.

The earlier one I had a 1986 I think it was, had a direct link from the steering wheel to box, the later one a 1996, had a more conventional hydraulic orbital valve under the dash and was better on the road the older 90hp.

Biggest problem I had was a head gasket, Browns supplied a new gasket with a modification.

Servicing was easy as all filters bar fuel filter are washable and reusable, fuel filter has a larger pre filter blowl with cleanable screen in so main filters last well, and most other repairs are simple as most items are external.

Some of the operational functions are a bit quirky, gears non synchromesh, doesn't lead well for multiple drivers jumping on.

Good on fuel.

If you want to know more give me a shout on pm

The front axle problem on the one your considering, are you/your friend sure its in the diff? I have heard of one with the bevel gears going to the portal axle part, failing.

The is a overload dog clutch in the propshaft, that could of gone or slipping and making a noise.

Thanks for that. Answered a lot of questions I've gathering up over the last couple of days.

Probably won't tow much over 3 ton so brakes should be adequate hopefully.

Machine hasn't been run for probably 5 years so I'm glad you mentioned about the 24v starting or it would have been a frustrating day trying to get it to fire.

I was wondering if the 90 hp models ran the pto through a dry dual clutch or an Ipto pack? Have had a lot of trouble with a zetor regards hydraulic pump and clutch for pto and it's something I'm keen to avoid!

The air brakes would be a bonus as I'm looking for a low loader to move the 40t splitter around and can probably find a better trailer by looking at hgv trailers (mot failures etc) than something that's been worked hard behind a tractor and neglected.

- Andy

Thanks for all the info from everybody who's taken the time to post:thumbup: