Towable / walking backhoes

Paul in the woods

A bit of a long shot but has anyone used one of these towable / walking backhoes? I've watched some of Metsaman's videos and others on youtube and done some, erm, digging and they seem suitable for my needs.

Basically I'm after something to do all the landscaping jobs around the smallholding that 20 odd years ago I'd have done with a spade. Nothing too big, but lots of little jobs. (Small ditching, dig a few smallish ponds, did out some small stumps, level a few areas etc).

I know a 2nd hand mini-digger would be better but they are more expensive and it would take me ages to track one down and get hold of it. I also don't have a tractor to add a backhoe to. I've looked at renting but don't want to do all the jobs at once and I frequently have to alter plans at the last minute so my own digger would be ideal.

I'm aware they will not lift much as they don't have the weight to counterbalance and also manoeuvrability is an issue but I can cope with that.

I've looked at the Kellfri but I prefer this one from Jansen: Mini excavator Jansen MB-300, 9 HP, petrol engine | Excavators | Agriculture & Forestry | Jansen Mailorder

Anyone have any constructive comments or know of anything similar?

Personally, I wouldnt bother. The video cleverly shows it digging in sand. Show it a stump, and all thats going to happen is the machine will either move, or a squeek will emit from the hydraulics which wont cope with the pressure. Those things are next to useless from experience

I used to have a self move towable digger.

It could / would do all that I asked of it. Yes a bigger machine would be quicker but this thing could be towed by a small family car.

like this one Benford_ME130_Steve2.jpg

Mantis towable digger, Benford ME130 excavator

Fleming Micron, Powerfab, Gopher, Roughneck, Smalley, digger, excavator, dumper, backhoe

Dont know how much you want to spend but I have has a powerfab wtd125 for 30 years and that has amazing ripping force, it seems to run on fresh air

good little digger the powerfab long time since i have seen a small drag around digger they where popular a few years ago

Personally, I wouldnt bother. The video cleverly shows it digging in sand. Show it a stump, and all thats going to happen is the machine will either move, or a squeek will emit from the hydraulics which wont cope with the pressure. Those things are next to useless from experience

I was puzzled as to why the video showed the backhoe digging in sand but I've seen plenty of owner videos where they seem to cope with what I have in mind.

Which one have you personally used?