Opinions on stump grinders

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

Looking for opinions on new stump grinders.

I've owned an HB20 pedestrian 27hp which earned good money but made me sweat and was not that stable to work with on slopes.

We currently run a Carlton 4012 33 hp diesel with remote control.

I like the radio remote control very much but this machine has had control issues from the day it was delivered and has been a horrible mightmare.

The other 2 control interfaces are poorly concieved, being like swapping from QWERTY to AZERTY then BRAILLE...

Up side is that it is a productive enough machine but one I feel is underpowered.

38-45hp would be a better choice if it could be kept the same size.

Terrible off road traction too which makes sloping ground or even back out of it's own chip pile a chore.

However, my restriction will also be budget.

I'm selling my share in the company I founded and moving on, staying local but shedding the toxic business partner.

So what is out there that works for you guys?

I read alot about the old 3 wheeled Vermeer 252, no remote and manouverable but I can't face an old machine with all it's hidden vices.

How about the newer version though, 352 38hp?

Carlton again, 5014 but in 44hp diesel

Bandits offering 2550? is out of my price range and I worry the 2250R would be too underpowered at 27hp hydrohead.

FSI D30 I know little about but tracked it will have a premium price no?

TBH, I would settle for the HB20 again as it was relatively trouble free apart from bearings and falling over from time to time.

So talk to me, advise me, I'm open to your advice.

Thanks

Ty

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you know I've had a couple of Raycos. Big fan, the current rg35 is a damn fine machine.

The only problem is it's not 4wd which can be a pita.

My mate has the tracked version which overcomes those problems.

My only advice is don't go hydro, and go Yank if you can.

Hello,

Looking for opinions on new stump grinders.

I've owned an HB20 pedestrian 27hp which earned good money but made me sweat and was not that stable to work with on slopes.

We currently run a Carlton 4012 33 hp diesel with remote control.

I like the radio remote control very much but this machine has had control issues from the day it was delivered and has been a horrible mightmare.

The other 2 control interfaces are poorly concieved, being like swapping from QWERTY to AZERTY then BRAILLE...

Up side is that it is a productive enough machine but one I feel is underpowered.

38-45hp would be a better choice if it could be kept the same size.

Terrible off road traction too which makes sloping ground or even back out of it's own chip pile a chore.

However, my restriction will also be budget.

I'm selling my share in the company I founded and moving on, staying local but shedding the toxic business partner.

So what is out there that works for you guys?

I read alot about the old 3 wheeled Vermeer 252, no remote and manouverable but I can't face an old machine with all it's hidden vices.

How about the newer version though, 352 38hp?

Carlton again, 5014 but in 44hp diesel

Bandits offering 2550? is out of my price range and I worry the 2250R would be too underpowered at 27hp hydrohead.

FSI D30 I know little about but tracked it will have a premium price no?

TBH, I would settle for the HB20 again as it was relatively trouble free apart from bearings and falling over from time to time.

So talk to me, advise me, I'm open to your advice.

Thanks

Ty

Hi mate our offerings are:-

HB20N- now 25" width with dual wheels, has the delay removed & has the counterbalance valves that yours didn't.

Bandit 2250R

New Bandit ZT1844 track, 25hp or 38hp

Bandit 2550, 4WD or track(may have a used one)

Jo Beau B24-100 hydraulic swivel pedestrian

Jo Beau B31-110 track

If you need further details on any model after searching give me a shout.

??????

I talked to Jesper at Nordik greenteeth about a 2250 he had for sale with about 350 hours on it, we spoke about what i do and currently use (new version vermeer 252, 27hp belt driven) and he said i'd be disappointed with the 2250. (I was disappointed at the 27hp hydraulic drive vermeer FWIW)

I liked that honesty. So it would make sense in my mind that if Ty is considering larger HP machines, or even the 252, then the 2250 would be too small for him too.