which jack for emergency use? trolley, bottle, hi-lift etc...

jrose

Hi all,

Following me having to run across the county because the track came off a chipper and there was no grease gun or other kit available, I'm getting a lockable tool box fitted to the chipper trailer. Got a grease gun, sockets, pry bar etc... Now need to buy a jack.

What is the best type of jack to lift a track chipper, bearing in mind it may be in mud, uneven surfaces and the like? We've always got away with bottle jacks before as they're what's in the truck, but is there a better option?

I'm veering away from trolley jack as I'm not sure how they'll work off road, thinking of hi lift but never used one.

Any advice from people who have replaced tracks in the dark, wet and cold as to which they'd rather have very welcome!

You can get two stage hydraulic bottle jacks with better lift height which is obviously preferable to single stage versions.

I've been meaning for an age to treat Greg to one of the Hi Lift Rescue Jacks to mount on the tracked dumper. They are more expensive than the standard versions, but really are packed with handy features, and are designed to work with chains, already having the slots for links, and will winch, spread etc etc besides just lifting.

One thing I will say to anyone going to use a Hi Lift Jack, make certain you have someone show you the correct operation, as they really can bite if you don't know what you're doing.

However used correctly, extremely powerful and versatile, I've even seen a box section slipped over the rack with a serrated tongue welded on the end to form an extremely effective tree jack.

Cheapest I found them so far was here?

https://www.firstfour.co.uk/hi-lift-first-responder-jack-48.html

Eddie.

The hi lift is brill, and other uses are good (winch, 4' at a time and hard work) but in an emergency to get you moved out of trouble is good. BUT as above you would need to ? put a tracked machine on blocks, also can be quite unstable when jacked, need holding. off road the exhaust filled bag is good. I would have both. on a land rover or similar demo the hi lift.

u also need solid jacking points along the side of the machine.

good luck