LPG Forklift vapourizer

Dave177

We have a OLD hyster forlkift in the yard that is used for a few jobs, when I went to use it last week in the cold it was very spluttery with no power. Having looked in the engine bay the vaporizer, I think, a block with lpg in and out and water in and out, was covered in frost (Like if you let off a gas bottle over something cold) is this just what happens on the cold and it needs to wait till the machine is warmed up, or it it leaking somewhere causing the frost. I haven't had a chance to try it in warmer weather yet.

Thanks

We have a OLD hyster forlkift in the yard that is used for a few jobs, when I went to use it last week in the cold it was very spluttery with no power. Having looked in the engine bay the vaporizer, I think, a block with lpg in and out and water in and out, was covered in frost (Like if you let off a gas bottle over something cold) is this just what happens on the cold and it needs to wait till the machine is warmed up, or it it leaking somewhere causing the frost. I haven't had a chance to try it in warmer weather yet.

Thanks

Check the engine has some antifreeze and that the water hose is getting warm.

The thing is that unlike blow torches, which draw gas from the top of a bottle, vehicles use a liquid take off, this liquid then has to be turned into vapour before it enters the mixer and meets air and is sucked into the engine.

In turning from liquid to gas energy is needed (the enthalpy or latent heat of vaporisation) and this heat comes from the surroundings, in the case of a water cooled engine the engine coolant supplies the heat. If the coolant is not circulating this can cause the vaporiser to get too cold, any water in the air then condense on the vaporiser and then freezes.

You will see the same with a normal propane bottle in cold weather as the frost line shows the level of propane remaining in the bottle.

Normally there is enough thermal mass in the vaporiser that supplies heat until warmer water starts to circulate.

Dave the things are a ballache, The only way you will get any winter use out of it is to turn the tickover up a bit and allow it to idle for ten minutes before you use it. Touch the throttle without getting some heat into it and it will ice up. Our one now lives inside but the same applies, at the very least sheet it up when not in use.

Bob

Is it like ours?

image.jpg1_zpszniu5aks.jpg

Dave the things are a ballache, The only way you will get any winter use out of it is to turn the tickover up a bit and allow it to idle for ten minutes before you use it. Touch the throttle without getting some heat into it and it will ice up. Our one now lives inside but the same applies, at the very least sheet it up when not in use.

I cannot remember what ours was but I never had that trouble. I would have thought that as long as water is circulating through the mixer there would be enough heat. Anyway what about warming it up with a hair dryer?

As Catweazle points out the coolant does need to be topped up but adding antifreeze wont change the temperature , minus five is minus five irrespective of fluid types. These trucks are made for inside use like warehouses and just dont like the cold, I have had to use the heat gun and blow torches before now to get it going but by far the best way is to keep it inside or covered up, if I can find a s/h webasto coolant heater I will fit that. Its also very greedy on gas, I am buying two bottles a month which come to about £70 vs £50 worth of diesel for the year in the one I got rid of ( big mistake :thumbdown:) Gas Hyster`s are the work of satan :)

Bob

I completely agree, Ours doesn't get used too much but does eat up the gas, I would rather a diesel if i can find one with decent big wheels.

Would you cover just the bottle or the whole forklift, keeping it inside isn't an option at the moment

As Catweazle points out the coolant does need to be topped up but adding antifreeze wont change the temperature , minus five is minus five irrespective of fluid types. These trucks are made for inside use like warehouses and just dont like the cold, I have had to use the heat gun and blow torches before now to get it going but by far the best way is to keep it inside or covered up, if I can find a s/h webasto coolant heater I will fit that. Its also very greedy on gas, I am buying two bottles a month which come to about £70 vs £50 worth of diesel for the year in the one I got rid of ( big mistake :thumbdown:) Gas Hyster`s are the work of satan :)

Bob

If the vaporizer ices up then with no antifreeze the coolant could freeze stopping the flow and heating effect.

Propane fittings and couplings on a propane forklift should never ice up. If it does, that is a sign that you have a leak somewhere in the system.

- Forklift instructor.

If the vaporizer ices up then with no antifreeze the coolant could freeze stopping the flow and heating effect.

No leaks on mine, its had a new waterpump, the coolant hoses have all be flushed out, antifreeze, serviced and its still a load of poop. Keep it inside and give it a few minutes ticking over all is ok. When I get another diesel forklift I will film this ones demise.:BoomSmilie_anim:

Bob