Transporting Bandit HB20 N

bggc

How are owners of this machine transporting it?

Currently we use a 8'x5' trailer which is fine behind our Nissan Cabstar. I'm interested in a second vehicle, an all rounder, maybe a 4x4 which could transport the HB20, logs, extra kit, maybe have a tipping back and chip box. This way, the truck can tow the chipper and second vehicle can take the grinder, whether it's on the back or towing our 8'x5' trailer.

The one I like is the Hilux extra cab but need to check the dimensions of the tub length.

We have a Vauxhall Combo as a support vehicle which serves us fine for quoting, carrying ton bags of sweepings,cones, signs etc but we need to look at options now for heavier pulling, towing, occasional field access.

Has anybody gone down this route, particularly with the HB20?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dropped ours down onto its handlebars (protected by some wood)

Then lashed across the bars taking care not to put pressure on anything delicate.

2 straps left and right tie down points at the front.

It still leapt about and caused itself and anything else it was travelling with damage but I couldn't see another way unless I drove at 30kph everywhere.

Ty

I dropped ours down onto its handlebars (protected by some wood)

Then lashed across the bars taking care not to put pressure on anything delicate.

2 straps left and right tie down points at the front.

It still leapt about and caused itself and anything else it was travelling with damage but I couldn't see another way unless I drove at 30kph everywhere.

Ty

Cheers Ty, what vehicle you using to carry it in?

We have the large ratchet straps Dean from Global kindly left us, once it's butted up to the head of the trailer and lashed in place its rock solid.

How are owners of this machine transporting it?

Currently we use a 8'x5' trailer which is fine behind our Nissan Cabstar. I'm interested in a second vehicle, an all rounder, maybe a 4x4 which could transport the HB20, logs, extra kit, maybe have a tipping back and chip box. This way, the truck can tow the chipper and second vehicle can take the grinder, whether it's on the back or towing our 8'x5' trailer.

The one I like is the Hilux extra cab but need to check the dimensions of the tub length.

We have a Vauxhall Combo as a support vehicle which serves us fine for quoting, carrying ton bags of sweepings,cones, signs etc but we need to look at options now for heavier pulling, towing, occasional field access.

Has anybody gone down this route, particularly with the HB20?

The only issue I can see with putting one is a pickup bed is how much load it applies to the tailboard when running up the ramps. snapping or buckling the tailgate when you are on the ramps as well will make a mess.

Maybe look at the 2wd dmax single cabs. They are much lower to the ground than a normal pickup and would be easier to load the machine on.

Other than that you just strap it as normal and crack on.

The only issue I can see with putting one is a pickup bed is how much load it applies to the tailboard when running up the ramps. snapping or buckling the tailgate when you are on the ramps as well will make a mess.

Maybe look at the 2wd dmax single cabs. They are much lower to the ground than a normal pickup and would be easier to load the machine on.

Other than that you just strap it as normal and crack on.

Yes it's a fair point, we discussed the very same thing whilst stood in front of a Hilux only recently. I don't think those little drop down wire ropes or their fixings holding the tailgate would last long. The only solution we thought of was to chock up the tailgate from the ground but it would have to be done right, and solid too, otherwise the bodywork will end up looking a right mess.

Having a 4x4 on the fleet is often usefull.

But always they are also a bit of a compromise.

We used to have a land cruiser van that was used for towing and quoting duties. I loved it but worked out it was costing about £1000 a year more in fuel then a small van would.. We currently have a vw caddy which works ok to tow the hb20 and small chipper if needed.. but

We have a 130 tipper so have the 4x4 covered.

We also have taillifts on a couple of our tippers so you can on small jobs load it on the back that way.

Vehicles are always a compromise and the best option one day might not be the next...