Post knocker to be mounted on jcb 3cx front loader

Matthew Storrs

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, what I'd like to do is remove the 4in1 bucket (which I think weighs little less than the postknocker I plan to mount) and in its place put my wrag swing round model on instead. Problems I think I may encounter is unstabilty and when travelling on the road the mast may block a field of vision to an extent.

But on the face of it id have thought it could be a good setup as the back actor can still be used whilst on site and I can position as a counterweight if on steeper ground.

Downside I guess is not sure if it'd be much good if it the ground got soft.....

Thoughts would be appreciated

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most jcb digger are light on the front and only travel well with a full set of buckets in 4in1 on front.

Will make a good tool as we fit a post thumper on the fore end loader on the fendt we have for driving in tall post but only once on site.

Yes I remember seeing pictures of it. Do you pull it behind the tractor on a trailer? This is the main concern at the moment is travelling with it on the front on the road not so much because of the weight but more the visibility and it would stick out the front som way- that said I'd be happy to trade the knocker in for a side mounted variety if I thought the setup would work.

Have you looked at something like this? Mount it on the back actor with the quick hitch and you've still got a complete jcb on site.

Post Master - Vibrating Post Drivers | Autoguide Equipment

Yes, I like the idea but in practise I don't think I could get on with that setup, I work mainly on my own so could be hard getting the post in straight, I'm not sure the vibrating ones have the same kind of power and traditional falling weight types. If I mounted one on the front it would have all the controls on The knocker itself so I can get every post nice and straight with adjustments etc.

Yes I imagine that whether it is a post knocker or a 4 in 1 bucket they'd be about the same in the wet. Actually I don't think they are too bad if it's just mud but essentially hard underneath the problem I think would be boggey ground like peat etc. I have a smaller tracked digger which I would use for these kinds of jobs. When I think of most of my fencing jobs there is nearly always digging or grading to be done so thought the 3cx would be a good option

I think the protech P22 mounted on the front would be best as it's nice and close in and reletively lightweight (800kg).

Just go for a 4cx as the base unit and really no need for that to be more expensive, as they don't really command much premium used.

This will give you a well balanced base, with 3 steering modes that could come in very handy, and the equal wheels will travel the ground much better.

Nothing to stop you taking a pair of duals with you, and having the ability to lift yourself with loader or jacks would see them fitted in minutes.

You could use just one pair wisely to huge advantage on wet or sloping sites as all the wheels are same size, so on front/rear or downhill side of slope.

I have regularly roaded with a Bomag 120 roller on the forks of a 3cx back in the day and I suspect a 4 cx wouldn't know the knocker is there.

If you can get an ex pole planter machine you may get your front hitch and bigger tyres in one go anyway.

Eddie.