Thoughts on Telehandler

Dave177

Looking for a cheap telehandler to load walking floors, tow a tipping trailer on chip jobs and general moving carrying loading etc.

Been offered an old perkins engined merlo or an even older ford powered sanderson 622. will either of these be tall enough/ man enough / reliable enough to load walking floors?

Must have a rear pick up hitch and tipping pipe for trailers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for a cheap telehandler to load walking floors, tow a tipping trailer on chip jobs and general moving carrying loading etc.

Been offered an old perkins engined merlo or an even older ford powered sanderson 622. will either of these be tall enough/ man enough / reliable enough to load walking floors?

Must have a rear pick up hitch and tipping pipe for trailers

I don't know about these but I do know that you need a 2m3 or bigger bucket, 54 trips with a standard JCB bucket just takes too long and uses too much machine time.

What capacity and reach is the merlo? Is it hydrostatic or geared? Our neighbours is a great machine. Rated at 3.1t lift but easy lifted a 3.8t concrete panel. Crap in soft going, but good visibility, reach and lift capacity for its size.

You'll need atleast a 6m reach to fill a walking floor wagon I think. Local contractors jcb 310s articulated Jobby struggled quite a lot. Think that has 5.8m reach. Definitely want a big old bucket or you'll be there all day too. 3m3 one does a grain wagon in 18trips usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pivot steer jcb are less the 5 meters reach 5 and a half will do it easily between the bars with a grain bucket on

For this type of work i would highly highly recommend a jcb 526s farm special brialliant built machines very easy to qork on very simple

Ofcourse a side engine magchine will out perm it but the rear engined ones are just a really tough little machine with engine out the way and no easily damaged fiberglass hood the side

Will load a walking floor generally very good machines

Every merlo i have driven has suffered electrical gremlins especially related to the inching pedal

Newer jcs dont have the build quality of the older ones or of there competitors

There was a rear engined new holland on ebay the other weak they have most the plus points of the jcb 526 s easier to use rear hitch but slighly jerky hydralics

Have run an old sanderson 622 for a while the other year brilliant machines only trouble being, they stopped building then sometime in the 90's,can still get most parts though, very capable and manouverable machines, cant remember the reach,but I have a feeling the 622 stands for 2.2ton lift to 6 metres but dont qoute me on that.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

Another vote for the jcb 526. We have a 1996 one with a 2m3 bucket, doesn't take too long to fill an artic with woodchip and has proved very reliable touch wood. However very slow on the road and I gather lots of towing doesn't do transmission any favours. We use a tractor for all our towing work. Great bit of kit to have in the yard, will find yourself wondering how you managed with out it