Trailer into pto chipper

Gray git

I've had a old quickchip 222 in the back of the yard for a few years now with the intention of rebuilding it with a better engine but the more I look at it the less it seems worth the bother as engine is knackered, turntable is seized, hubs brakes and tires need replacing and draw bar is well knackered.

But the chipping chamber, hopper, spout and rollers are all fine so today started thinking of slicing it apart and building it up on a frame to become a handy pto machine to go out with the valtra, hopefully carrying it on the front to site with the botex behind then swap over to work.

Question is........

To attach the pto do I get a shaft welded directly onto the pully and run a overrun clutch pto shaft onto this or fabricate a bairing mount to keep some way of running the 3 drive belts it currently has to gear up the speed from the engine.

Any pictures of how other people's machines are set up appreciate or links to sauce any parts.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which are the shafts turning John? You may need a rotation changing gearbox ontoa layshaft with another pulley. Bit of fab work and maths......

Far as I can tell everything is turning in the correct direction so no need for directional change, remembering back to a conversation I had many years ago with someone from Fletcher Stuart about this machine the 1st time I owned it (15 years ago) it's a shisling chamber that originally would have been pto driven but quickchip bought them and fabricated everything ells onto it to make some of the early tow behind machines.

You need a piece of shaft like this but longer some bearing pulleys the right size and some fabrication Splined Shaft 250mm overall 1 3 4 6 Spline

To go directly onto the fly wheel shaft or Sit below it and run belts?

I've noticed some chippers like the farmi 260 are directly driven where others like the to have belts, I guess keeping the pto shaft angle correct is going to be key?

best get yr sen to o/p for a new pto forst :biggrin:

If it was a 8 series possibly but a 6... Too small

Would really like either of these but no funds free as upgrading the tractor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262689682277

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262689686887

I converted an older Ganadini to PTO when the engine dropped a valve in.

The job was pretty simple. The flywheel shaft was parallel (as most are). I simply removed the drive pulley and had an adaptor collar made to go over the shaft and bored out and key'd on the other end to take a PTO drive shaft. Don't go welding the input shaft. it would be an arse to get straight and would always be a weak link

The PTO shaft had a friction overload clutch with a built in over run so the tractor could be powered down and allow the chipper to coast to a stop.

I fabricated a stand to make the best balance of the PTO angle and in feed height so it all worked out neatly.