Mini Digger Life expectancy

Tentman

Gidday Guys

The purchase of the Komatsu PC20 I had arranged fell over due to the dealer trying me out with false oil analysis results - just a plain old fraudster.

Anyhoo I'm looking at other machines and trying to get a feel for the "life expectancy" of the two tonne machines. I see a lot for sale at between 4000 and 5000 hours, so am guessing that's when its uneconomic for most "commercial" operators to continue to run them.

What is the main "cause of death" for these, if I'm looking at machines of between 2000 and 3000 hours what is the most likely work I'd have to do to keep in going to 4000-5000 hours? My machine will be doing fencing work, so mainly used as a mobile hydraulic pump for a post knocker, with a bit of light digging occasionally between a lot of walking.

What are the most common failure modes for mini's, is it bushes and pins, engine, hydraulics or drive motors and how are these affected by the work its done and maintenance its received?

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but I've never run diggers so am just trying to develop some "feel".

Cheers

Foster

Funny we were discussing this the other day and how it was while I was looking for a digger I was dismissing anything over 2500 hrs, when asked I said to be honest its due to the nature of the work they do, I'd quite happily buy a tractor with over 5000 hrs on it but diggers seem to lean towards lower hours, irony is my volvo I bought has 2256hrs on it and has since I bought it as turn out the hours clock has broke, but to be fair given its condition I'd say its right, main thing as with anything is how well its been maintained I looks at some with lower hours and boom could be shook like a skeleton it had so much play in it.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

Depends on the operator and how the machine is cared for , i have witnessed a 30t Doosan turned to scrap in 12 months , most small machines are put to tasks well beyond there capability and hence the tend to suffer wear and tear at an alarming rate .

Whilst I admit that living on the west coast is far from an ideal climate for a machine, I ran my last machine (a Kubota KH41) for over 20 years until the undercarriage finally gave up due to corrosion - not bad for a mchine which lived oitside all its life. Even at that, it was all still working OK, albeit with just over 6k hrs, and I managed to sell it for £500 to someone who is going to rebuild the carriage.

I've replaced it with a Volvo unit that I doubt will last as long unless I finish the undercover storage that I'm about to start building.

if its an ex utilities mini digger i would avoid them like the plague i have seen diggers absolutely knackered within 1000 hrs but i have seen mining excavators with 90000 hours on them and still going it depends on the jockey in the seat and the folk repairing it when it breaks down i would suggest if you are looking at second hand take an unbiased independent engineer with you to carry out a proper inspection we can pick up on stuff that you wouldn't even think is possible

• 1 month later...