Entec ch25 honest opinions

Coletti

Hello all.

Looking to upgrade chippers soon and I keep thinking an entec ch25 would do the job just fine but are they too old now? What's parts availability like? I'm upgrading from a gravity fed chipper and taking a few more logs away isn't an issue for me. Basically wondering if it's worth getting the entec or to hold out and see if a newer timberwolf 125 or greenmech 130 comes up due to the entec's age

Thanks in advance

George

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've a entec ch25 at the moment. It's a cracking chipper, and I'd buy another. Mines one of the last made, may 2001. I'm not too sure about parts availability. They are quite heavy on petrol.

I tend to disagree about needing 30hp or above. mine will chip all day with no problems. Everything over 3 or 4 inches is a log, so it don't get abused. I also spend a lot of time traveling over the dales. It's light and easily manovered

Saying that, mine is 15 years old. I'd buy another, if they were still making them. But your own market and financial position determines what to go for.

I ran an entec 25 for 4 years just after starting out without an issue however I was fortunate enough to find one with very few hours on it. They are a good light machine and will chip 6" like the others but the throughput is low compared to a modern machine.

Spares should be no problem as timberwolf can supply direct and the engine is still basically the same as the current Kohler 25hp.

If however I am being honest you would get one of these machines for a grand and you will more than likely be buying trouble as they will be at least 12 years old. If you are serious about full time tree surgery then you should be able to fund something more substantial/newer which will increase your productivity and reduce down time. If you want a rebuild project or only need an occasional use machine then go for it.

They were and are a good chipper. I ran a diesel version for a front line chipper for a good 3.5-4 years never gave greif at all.

The problem is some folk are under the impression that new chippers are better and dont break and leas downtime. This isnt always the case.

If your handy with the spanner and you find a good honest chipper, older gear can work well!

I've had mine just over 10 years. In that time the things replaced has been, new axle, new exhaust, new rotor fins and new no-stress. The main bearing is fine and has never been replaced. I'm sure it's the original 15 year old rotor bearing.

Don't think that's too bad for 10 years work.