Fitting timber bolsters

Dave177

Looking to get a set of bolsters made up to go on our tractor plant trailer to carry timber with. Anyone know someone that could do this around the surrey sussex area. Failing that anyone got some pictures of theres,especially the sockets that we could copy. I want them to be removable like you get on a flat lorry so we can still carry plant etc. I would guess that 3"x3"x5mm wall box section should be suitable?

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked at the exte ones but are a lot on money for something that will be used occasionally.

Are the ones on yours welded straight into the box section of the chassis? and what size are the bolsters?

It's a flat bed roro so not the chassis. I'll measure the box section later.

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk

Ugly old arb timber can be quite hard on bolsters, the artic trailer has 100x100x6mm bolsters dropping into braced sockets and some of them have got bent. Also the sockets were a bit of a snug fit and with crud getting into the sockets plus a bit of rust they can sometimes be a bit of a challenge to get out.

image.jpg3_zpsbz1dj6cs.jpg

Moving on :) Mick Dundee is making some up at the moment for the Bedford truck, sockets are fabricated 12mm plate with a drain hole in the bottom and jigged round the poles which are 90x90 x8mm box. To give clearance he tacked 2mm plate to an offcut and built the box round that. Poles should be a lot easier to remove.

image.jpg1_zpstzbdbn9b.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsamyipqd9.jpg

Ugly old arb timber can be quite hard on bolsters, the artic trailer has 100x100x6mm bolsters dropping into braced sockets and some of them have got bent. Also the sockets were a bit of a snug fit and with crud getting into the sockets plus a bit of rust they can sometimes be a bit of a challenge to get out.

image.jpg3_zpsbz1dj6cs.jpg

Moving on :) Mick Dundee is making some up at the moment for the Bedford truck, sockets are fabricated 12mm plate with a drain hole in the bottom and jigged round the poles which are 90x90 x8mm box. To give clearance he tacked 2mm plate to an offcut and built the box round that. Poles should be a lot easier to remove.

image.jpg1_zpstzbdbn9b.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsamyipqd9.jpg

Now that is heavy duty, bet you manage to bend one anyway!

Thanks for the replies, quite a variation in size of bolsters, it will be loaded by the forwarder and unloaded with a loader or digger the other end so I would rather err on the side of caution and go bigger so it can take the hits a bit more. What length are the sockets that your having made Bob? From memory the ones on artics are around 6"?

I cant really go much wider on the trailer so think I will have to mount them on the inside of the chassis and cut the floor rather than welding sockets to the outside