Flail for small regen

Treemover

I have a few small contracts that require clearing of small regeneration; presently just cut with a saw, and chip but it seems terribly slow and expensive to the client.

I have been looking at the small flails for compact tractors, and would like to hear from anyone that has one or runs one in the 30-50hp category.

I know all about the larger units; but Im after the stuff where the heavier machines cannot operate.

Would digger mounted be any good?

It depends on the girth of your brushwood. I've used a sovema heavy duty flail behind an alpine to destroy rows of young trees on a nursery. The tractor then the flail bends the tree over and 2 ft stems ping back up. Therefore maybe a front mounted without a roller at the front would work better.

As goat says, totally dependent on your material size. I have a zanon flail that goes on my 37hp AGT and it's great on brambles and light woody brash (upto maybe 20mm). Biggerstuff it's bogs down very quickly and you'd end up bugger it it.

On a 50hp you might have better results.

I use a Delek flail on my Yanmar compact but switch over to my David Brown 990 for heavy jobs , couple of links to show , one using my Compact and the Model I use . It has a offset which is handy .

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=152139840765&category=11752&pm=1&ds=0&t=1466798291362

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

I have a few small contracts that require clearing of small regeneration; presently just cut with a saw, and chip but it seems terribly slow and expensive to the client.

I have been looking at the small flails for compact tractors, and would like to hear from anyone that has one or runs one in the 30-50hp category.

I know all about the larger units; but Im after the stuff where the heavier machines cannot operate.

This is the size of a 135 massey but 85 hp reverse drive, dual steer,and capable of mulching up some quite large material. Wide profile tyres, so low ground pressure ,good on slopes (low center of gravity ) etc.Thinking of selling it soon because the estate clearance contract we have is due to be franchised out. I advertised it 6 months ago had an offer and some interest but I don't think he had the money when it came to agreeing a deal. Either something like this or similar can hit out a considerable amount of work in a relatively short time.

S1030369.jpg.a97bb36758e9d84a8477baced9835df2.jpg

It all depends what the regen site is, if its regen growing through vegetation thats hiding old stumps and brash you could end up damaging kit. A 360 with mulching head is good if you can get one with a decent operator.

Bob