Sub £1000 ride on mower?

phil123

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and I'm starting up my own garden maintenance business (eeek!! Very nervous times!)

anyway I'm looking into getting a ride on mower tractor type style I think looks best for me. I've got max budget of £1000 but ideally around the £750 mark been trawling eBay and there's loads on there but I don't really know what to go for (make/model wise)

John Deere was my dream but looks to be out of my price range. There's some countax hydrostatic ones on there around the £750 mark any good? Or older Westwood ones which look well made but dated. there's also a few Husqvarna ones at the top end of my budget which look really smart but do they work as good as they look?

Ideally I'd want to have the option to collect the cuttings too.

Any help or advice very much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Phil.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you I'd get a decent 21 inch walk behind first and worry about ride on mowers later!

They are harder to find work for as most homes that need one have one and with a small budget you would be lucky to find anything reliable!

If you really want big have a look a the Toro turfmaster 30 inch walk behind.

Not trying to be negative but unless you have an unlimited budget there are loads of better things to spend your money on at start up.

Good luck though

The problem with buying used equipment is that you often end up with what you can get, rather than what you need, if that makes sense.

If you are mechanically minded, with the skills and tools to maintain your own kit, then you may be able to get a used machine fairly cheaply and make it work for you.

But if you rely on others to maintain and repair your kit then be aware of the costs. A standard ride on service will be in the region of £200 but if repairs and spares are needed (belts, bearings, blades, pulleys etc) its not unusual to run up another £200-£300 bill on top of the service just to get the mower that seemed like a bargain into good, useable order.

A classic example a few years ago was when one of my gardener customers wanted a ride on but could not afford a new one from my shop at around £2500. So he bought a Countax on ebay for around £1200, and hired a van to collect it from Northampton (from Devon).

When he tried to use it he discovered several problems and brought it into me to get it right and give it a good service. He ended up with a bill for around £600 and the news that despite me 'patching' the deck, he would likely need a new one within a couple of years. So now a total of £1800 plus van hire, with another £800 due in a couple of years if he kept it.

Then, about a year later, the Hydrostatic transmission packed up. Another £600.

Just be careful buying used, especially if you are not that good with mechanics.

Definitely agree that a big walk behind would be better if you are just starting out. You would get a lot more machine for your money and they are a lot more versatile. Domestic ride on mowers (which is what your budget will get you) aren't adequate for daily commercial use.

I realise this isn't what you want to hear, but I've been down this road with a few different machines. My best advice would be to get a solid used large walk behind commercial mower. Once you have the work coming in and you are set up you could look at getting a commercial ride on machine on finance if needed.

Hope this helps and all the best with your new venture.

Ok thanks very much for the advice I'll take it on board.... So in that case what big walk behind would you recommend? I've managed to get myself my first grass cutting contract for a fairly large local cemetery which has quite a bit of unused grass area which was my main reason for looking into a ride on. But I do understand that I could be buying more hassle and I don't like the idea of that!

I am however very good mechanically as in a previous life I was a mechanic for 8 years and have loads of my own tools.

I'd love to buy a new John Deere x165 but I don't want to spend £3k on a machine I might only use twice a month for this job alone.

But never considered a large walk behind before.

Really appreciate your help and advice guys thanks very much!

Just out of interest how much are you after for your snapper mate? Never heard of them before... Any good?

I was a mechanic for 8 years and have loads of my own tools.

I'd love to buy a new John Deere

How about a JD L107 circa 2004, mechanically sound and in good order, except for the cutting deck which is a bit thin from rust. A competent mechanic with a mig could patch it up, and keep patching it. Complete with a side pipe collector.

All for only £400?

Ok thanks very much for the advice I'll take it on board.... So in that case what big walk behind would you recommend? I've managed to get myself my first grass cutting contract for a fairly large local cemetery which has quite a bit of unused grass area which was my main reason for looking into a ride on. But I do understand that I could be buying more hassle and I don't like the idea of that!

I am however very good mechanically as in a previous life I was a mechanic for 8 years and have loads of my own tools.

I'd love to buy a new John Deere x165 but I don't want to spend £3k on a machine I might only use twice a month for this job alone.

But never considered a large walk behind before.

Really appreciate your help and advice guys thanks very much!

Just out of interest how much are you after for your snapper mate? Never heard of them before... Any good?

Buy a new Kaaz and save your self a pile of grief .

How about a JD L107 circa 2004, mechanically sound and in good order, except for the cutting deck which is a bit thin from rust. A competent mechanic with a mig could patch it up, and keep patching it. Complete with a side pipe collector.

All for only £400?

Now I'm interested! What size is the deck? And hp?