Sad day RIP Defender

needenginerunnin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad, always liked the 'Land Rover', I had an ex electricty 2.5 Diesel LWB van body a few years ago, should've kept it. Nothing else like them.

Reliability problems with the LR? yes but no worse than Japanese alternatives when they actually get used the way 75% of Land Rovers get used rather than used on the school run although to be fair they aren't exactly 'like for like'.

Remember when the 1st Daihatsu 'jeeps' appeared? a few farmers around here switched to them from Land Rovers, I don't see too many of them around. There are 1000's of 30 year old + LR's around, wonder how many of the current crop of pick-ups will be around in 30 years time? not too many 20 years old ones around presently.

Lets be honest, the landy was a great design, let down by cheap parts, cheap materials and crap build quality. The design was the only good thing about it, and the only reason so many are still on the road is due to the owners constant efforts. Whats the saying about Landys dripping oil? Personally i'd like one but they are the most over priced, poorly finished vehicles ever made, why not let some third world country continue making them out of recycled beer cans, they'll be cheaper and have better build quality!

I wouldn't say they used cheap parts and cheap materials, nor would I agree that they're only on the road due to constant efforts by owners. That makes it sound like the all need weekly attention which wasn't my experience.

Lets face it every vehicle needs maintained even the family car but few suffer the abuse or do the work of 75% of the Land Rovers out there. Of course there were particular versions that were more troublesome than others but it was almost always down to the choice of engine.

Of all the faults the most difficult to sort unless you were the 1st owner was the bulkhead rusting and that was down to poor design. Being the only steel body part and the part that everything else including the steering box bolted to it should have been galvanised or at least properly rust-proofed but lack of rust proofing was the norm when the Defender (actually 90/110, Defender name came later) was launched

No offence but your opinion seems to be based on received wisdom rather than actual experience.