Woodmizer business

Acer Forestry

I'm considering trying to cobble together enough for a mobile sawmill, get trained up and go out as hired operator. Don't want to thin down business for others in my area, but there isn't much work about and I'd like to earn some decent money, if only on a part time basis. Does this sound feasible, given the considerable outlay?

It's feasible certainly, but you are going to want to spend the most you can on a saw. Anything less than fully hydraulic is going to frustrate you and your customers no end. A hydraulic mill will cut many times more in a day than a manual mill and you won't be as tired at the end of it. For instance, I have a fully hydraulic Logmaster LM2 and we cut 11.5t of average 35cm diameter 4m western red cedar yesterday (29 logs). I don't think we'd have done more than 10-12 logs on a manual mill.

Where abouts are you?

It's feasible certainly, but you are going to want to spend the most you can on a saw. Anything less than fully hydraulic is going to frustrate you and your customers no end. A hydraulic mill will cut many times more in a day than a manual mill and you won't be as tired at the end of it. For instance, I have a fully hydraulic Logmaster LM2 and we cut 11.5t of average 35cm diameter 4m western red cedar yesterday (29 logs). I don't think we'd have done more than 10-12 logs on a manual mill.

Where abouts are you?

That's an impressive output J very productive 20+ yrs ago I used to help out in a sawmill and he had a new Tom Sawyer with a lister Diesel engine

To replace the circular saw that was impressive but nothing like your output

That's an impressive output J very productive 20+ yrs ago I used to help out in a sawmill and he had a new Tom Sawyer with a lister Diesel engine

To replace the circular saw that was impressive but nothing like your output

The Logmaster is a very fast mill (2" bands help) but I did have three guys in helping me. That being said, only one unloading the mill - the other two were edging waney edged boards, pressure washing logs (that also speeds up production - no mucky logs means fewer band changes and better accuracy). 11.5t of 130 odd tonnes to cut - we have to be quick or we'd never finish the job! :laugh1:

I had a woodmizer for a couple of years going out to site with it never appealed. People will want to pay for results. If the mill plays up or breaks down onsite and needs parts you will need to drag it home and blow the day. If it's set up in your yard ready to go and breaks you can order parts and fall back on another job. I can't remember many enquiries for milling on site but then I never went looking for work so the demand could be out there. I would advertise the service if the work comes in team up with someone that has a mill and share the job. If no work comes in you have not blown your whole wad on an idle machine.

Where abouts are you?

Kent, thanks for info so far