New Hedgecutter - want to treat her right!

bvfservices

Break her in - Method  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Break her in - Method

• Work her hard, it doesn't matter with a wee 2-stroke!
    • Be Gentle, it might hurt it!

Hi guys. First post here, and I'm a massive fan of this site. Has been so much help to an amateur like myself! Cannot say thanks enough.

Anyway, this post. A few months back I bought a cheap Mitox hedge cutter, and took really good care of it. A week ago the engine died down, and upon inspecting the spark plug, the bloody leak to the plug snapped like it was made of paper!

I returned it to the nice local dealer I had bought it from, who took it as a trade in (took £50 off what I paid for the thing, it had done 3 hedges and was mint!:thumbdown:), and I traded it against a new Husqvarna 122HD60.

I just wanted to know, how would you guys 'break it in'? Bought ethanol fuel-protector and I just left it ticking over for 15 mins or so before trying some good revs, nothing strenuous. Just wondered if I'm doing it right is all, the Husky is the best piece of kit I've had so far :blushing:. And I have heard of giving new engines major workload to break them in too?

Just wondering :001_cool:

Thanks for reading my post guys

Hi & welcome

I have your same trimmer, they are very good IMO.

Personally, I would just use it as its intended, keep the cutters well oiled & avoid any excessive workload for the first couple of hours. You should feel it loosen up after a few tankfulls.

N

keep the cutters well oiled

Thanks for your advice mate :thumbup1:. I used WD-40 as recommended for the Mitox (dealer recommended)'s blades but considering using PTFE-inclusive lithium grease now, for the Husky - as the WD40 seemed a bit thin and was dispersed in short order after a good hedge sesh. Lith. grease a Good idea?

WD 40 is far too thin to be of any use as a lubricant, so its a total waste to use it, except maybe to spray on after use to stop the blades rusting in storage.

Lith grease is too thick.

But hedge cutter blade lubricant, is just right. We sell Agia which is marketed by Anglo American Oils. Its about £11.00 for a 400ml can and lubricates well, and also contains a resin softener.

Otherwise use an ordinary motor oil in a squezy bottle.

Otherwise use an ordinary motor oil in a squezy bottle.

Spot on, just keep my oil pourrie in the van then :001_cool: Got Castrol GTX 10W40 semi-synth in it, should do okay I guess.

Thought the whole WD-40 theory of his was a bit cack, considering I wouldn't 'oil' a bicycle chain with it! :001_tt2:

Get a spray can of Lanotec. Its Lanolin based, sprayable, thicker than WD40, and non toxic. Brilliant stuff and non-toxic. So many people around the world pouring motor oil on everything, and by extension, the soil. it's just not necessary....also helps your hedge leaves to not get poisoned by petro-oil throough the cut......

Get a spray can of Lanotec.

Sounds like good stuff, especially if it protects the hedge. Wouldn't want one dying after a cut! Where abouts would I sort that out? Seems an Australian product? If I could get by with my Castrol GTX, I probably would stick with that :blushing:

The poll has swung in favour of running her in hard!

I have run her up to speed about 3 times now, and left idling to cool. Worked better on 3rd run the other night with GTX on the blades, quite pleased at how well it idles too :001_cool: