Help with Weeds please !

Secretarb

hi, I recently took on a weeding job at someones house for a bit of extra cash on the weekends and now i am struggling to keep up with them. The garden itself is massive and the flower beds also.

I wanted to know if any one has any info on spraying the weeds off with out damaging surrounding plants. the plants are things such as cotoneaster, heathers, rosemary, all low lever woody type plants.

I have my spraying ticket but have only ever used roundup or tordon. anyone got any info on any other types of chemicals i could use?? this would be a massive help

Thanks

P.s. if no, i guess ill just have to keep pulling the little blitters out by hand

Make a gell stick. Bit like a marker pen pulled apart take ink out and fill up with roundup (straight or 50/50). works like a weedwiper just dab the weeds to remove, no drips etc, can work it on weeds growing in the crowns of retained plants.

Hope this makes sense

Hand cultivation may be your only solution for the mean time. You may want to consider a liquid pre emergent like Surflan to spray the beds after your hand cultivation is completed.

The pre emergent will kill the seeds of the weeds your trying to control, however make sure the weeds your trying to control are listed for the product you choose. Also remember that if these same plants are reseeded by existing desirable plant material the pre emergent may do just as much harm as good. Mulching the planter beds also will help retain moisture and make weed seed growth less likely from occurring.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy
missing word

nice one cheers, i like the idea of the gel

i have mulched all other beds but there is one bed i can't mulch as its on a slope and over time, blows away and trickles down on to the grass.

i am trying to encourage more ground coverage from the surrounding plants but the weeds just find somewhere else to grow.

thanks again

Diluted groundup or any glyphosate and a rubber glove works very well so long as you are careful to avoid drips or touching the plants you want. I have removed a blanket or ground elder and bindweed in established beds with this method!

have always used this method