Hayter 56 Pro - Triggers Broom

KoddTim

I swear this mower is going to end up like triggers broom!

I acquired a Hayter Harrier 56 pro and I have fully serviced the roller with new bearings and sprockets, replaced the gearbox (!) and still it doesn't drive.

The only thing I have not replaced that I can imagine it is, is the clutch cable? In the manual it suggested that the tension on the spring at the gearbox end is 13mm, what I am not sure of if this is when the clutch lever is at 60mm or whether it is in a static position...?

The spring on my cable when in a standard position is nearly 1 inch... Before throwing the towel in and taking it to the dealer do you think I should buy a new clutch cable? The owners guide isn't particularly easy to follow about adjusting the cable so I don't want to buy a new one and face the same issue.

Any help greatfully appreciated

T

Assuming that the drive belts are in good order and correctly tensioned, and that the clutch cable spring is extending nicely when the bale bar is pulled up, then the mower should drive, even though it is a Hayter!

The clutch lever should take up drive at about 50 or 60mm from the handle and the spring should start to extend until full tension is reached when the lever touches the handle. The spring and cable must be just slack when the lever is down.

I am just wondering if the freewheels have been fitted the right way round?

To test this, with the engine stopped, pull up the clutch bale bar.

Try to push the mower forward, the roller should rotate and you should easily push it forward.

Try to pull it back. The roller should not rotate and the mower should not pull back.

If by any chance this process is reversed, the ratchets are the wrong way round.

Edited by GardenKit

To have the problem you describe yo must have a slippage somewhere between engine crank pulley and the roller.

The gearbox is new, so unless faulty, that should not be the fault.

The belts on the Pro are self tensioning unlike the rubbishy standard versions with variable speed. So unless the belts are worn out or wrongly assembled that should not be the problem.

The key could be missing from the crank pulley, I suppose, or the roll pins in the chain sprockets could have fallen out or broken. Worth a check.

Cheers gardenkit I appreciate your help... I've just fitted a new clutch cable, although the feel of the clutch lever now feels better there is still no drive. I've left the blade and plastic cover off the bottom of the mower and had a look underneath whilst it's running. All the belts and the gearbox seem to be rotating as they should. The only thing not replaced now is the two belts...

When I pull the mower backwards it will freewheel, when I try and push it forwards it is locked. From that description do you think the sprockets are on the right way?

Ok... I've now just got back in the from the garage after taking it all apart again and putting the sprockets on the other way round. The clutch cable seems a bit tight when then clutch lever is in its standard position though. How do I slacken it off?

If I ever seen a mower in bits again it will be too soon!