Ms660 muffler mod

Starscream

I just watched a video of a muffler modded 660 with 36" bar. Cutting a, roughly, 3foot lump of wood. The modded saw was about 11 secs quicker getting through the wood than the stock 660. I know nothing about chainsaw modifications and have no need to mod mine, but, my question is this.. Because the modded saw is cutting 11 secs quicker, does this put strain on the components of the chainsaw and decrease the life expectancy of the components? Sprocket, clutch etc.. If so, would this mean that a small gain in productivity equates to more maintenance on the saw and potentially shelling out for parts that wear quicker than a stock saw would? If the above is correct, what would you choose? 11 secs per cut on the job and more maintenance in the shed and potentially more costs to maintain. Or, slower cuts on the job, longer life expectancy of saw and less time in the shed. Just a theory, but interested to see what people with experience of modded saws think.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Matthew

I just watched a video of a muffler modded 660 with 36" bar. Cutting a, roughly, 3foot lump of wood. The modded saw was about 11 secs quicker getting through the wood than the stock 660. I know nothing about chainsaw modifications and have no need to mod mine, but, my question is this.. Because the modded saw is cutting 11 secs quicker, does this put strain on the components of the chainsaw and decrease the life expectancy of the components? Sprocket, clutch etc.. If so, would this mean that a small gain in productivity equates to more maintenance on the saw and potentially shelling out for parts that wear quicker than a stock saw would? If the above is correct, what would you choose? 11 secs per cut on the job and more maintenance in the shed and potentially more costs to maintain. Or, slower cuts on the job, longer life expectancy of saw and less time in the shed. Just a theory, but interested to see what people with experience of modded saws think.

Matthew

We have been here before, the saw makes more noise, drinks more fuel and you may get more wear on the components but with all the porting I have done, I have yet to see a problem arising from full porting.

A saws bottom end rarely fails, it is more likely seizure will occur and if a saw is set up correctly and used with the correct mix then it is unlikely to seize.

The dual port muffler was fitted to the 066 Magnum in the states until it was stopped due to EPA regulations.

It produces a little more power through increasing flow and is highly unlikely to give any engine issues if the saw is tached once the muffler is fitted.

I've only had to replace the clutch on my pretty modded 395 ,it does not seem to bother much else on it but it was the original !!and it's been used for milling hardwoods before and after modding which is probably harder on the running gear and seals /crank on a saw than any mods you could throw at it.

Matthew

Hi MATTEW STIHL sale mufflers mate thanks Jon

The dual port muffler was fitted to the 066 Magnum in the states until it was stopped due to EPA regulations.

In other words, it was standard at one point from the factory. The "mod" to remove it was forced by the EPA later.

Matthew

Non of mine have worn any thing prematurely . I think its better for them as they run cooler .

DSCF0055.jpg.e5585f922644fe84939a7830de6053ee.jpg