Work in America

Mr Fowler

Hello arbtalkers and happy new year to you all!

The missus is currently applying for jobs in the US for later this year, so I guess that means I might end up there too (that's how I ended up in Kent :blushing:). She's applied for stuff in Oregon and Berkeley, California and I see there are a fair few tree firms around there.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of moving from the UK to the US? What's it like in terms of getting a greencard? Can you get sponsorship from companies (e.g. like I hear happens in Australia)? I know I can get a 90 day Visa and try and get a job within that 90 days, but then what happens?

In the UK at the moment there seems to be a wealth of tree related jobs for qualified people with a few years experience, is this the same in the US, or are jobs much more difficult to find?

Any help appreciated. I'm sure there are many questions I have not thought of...

Hello arbtalkers and happy new year to you all!

The missus is currently applying for jobs in the US for later this year, so I guess that means I might end up there too (that's how I ended up in Kent :blushing:).

Does she just apply for these jobs then if she gets them you follow her round ? :confused1: That seems a strange set up :laugh1: Sorry I have nothing constructive to add but I just had to ask. :001_rolleyes: A friend of a friend went over there as a bike mechanic (he likes Harleys :001_huh:) but he's back now after about 3 years as it was not what he envisaged.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will probably email ISA and see what advice they can offer. No need to be jealous yet, I don't know where I'll end up!

Does she just apply for these jobs then if she gets them you follow her round ? :confused1: That seems a strange set up :laugh1: Sorry I have nothing constructive to add but I just had to ask. :001_rolleyes: A friend of a friend went over there as a bike mechanic (he likes Harleys :001_huh:) but he's back now after about 3 years as it was not what he envisaged.

I was working in London and she was at Canterbury Uni and we wanted to live together but she didn't like the parts of London we'd have had to live in (the rough ones!). So that's why I'm in Kent now! She's doing a phd and jobs in her field are limited unfortunately so her search area has to be pretty broad (e.g. global!).