roofing material?

thecaptain

Alright folks,

have a huge log store to build, have the framework sorted now, just need something to keep the rain off

approx size is 7m x 14m, about 3m high

Appearance doesnt matter as its being built on the cheap (all timber for framework, posts 2x4's etc scavenged from local farms and bonfire sites

Does anyone know of sheet roofing material going spare? anything will do, been looking at reclaimed corrugated metal sheeting (still fairly expensive, box profile sheeting new is very expensive and the same stuff used is scarce on the ground, nearest source is over 150miles away

any of you guys have anything that could help me out? or know of someone that could?

Im located in Hailsham, East Sussex and more than willing to collect/travel up to 70miles for the right material

Thanks in advance

Tom

framework is just some upright 3" posts, coupled with 2x4 timber slanted roof, sides are odd decking or gravel boards nailed to posts with a few inch gaps between lengths, allowing prevailing wind to dry out logs and let air in

will try and get photos within the next few days

wont be sheeting sides, just the top, its slanted so any condensation will run off the overhang

anyone help me out?

BIG SIX corrugated roof sheets i got a full roof off ebay for 99p. I know they could be asbestos etc but dont intend smashing them up etc and there brilliant no drips and no drilling/screwing down they hold there own in the wind no problem been up now going into 3rd year and the birds love the moss that grows on the top too

PS

i got my bolts from screwfix and used some drilled old brake pads for big washers from my mates garage

Edited by predator
wordin

framework is just some upright 3" posts, coupled with 2x4 timber slanted roof, sides are odd decking or gravel boards nailed to posts with a few inch gaps between lengths, allowing prevailing wind to dry out logs and let air in

will try and get photos within the next few days

wont be sheeting sides, just the top, its slanted so any condensation will run off the overhang

anyone help me out?[/quote

Will still get wet inside no matter the angle of the dangle

Single skin steel sheets are crap! their is that much condensation on the inside that everything gets wet through! sides are not so bad as the condensation just runs down. whats the framework made of?

Can't see a few spots of condensation being of any relevance to drying logs not that it likely to form in a well ventilated shed.

All our sheds have metal roofs. Most are scavenged from old barns but when we ran out the cheapest option was box profile seconds. They are just sheets where the colour has gone wrong. Admittedly not very cheap but very easy to instal and work with.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in Hailsham, you're not a million miles from Southern Sheeting Supplies in East Grinstead. They do usually have a large stock of seconds and shop soiled roofing tin.

They've always been excellent when I've put up buildings- I generally get the sheets first and work the building out from there.

Good Luck!

Roofing Products, Cladding Materials, Metal Sheeting - Sussex UK Southern Sheeting Supplies

Any chance of a pic of the structure? I'm starting to get my thoughts together for an additional covered storage area. I'm not sure it'll come in as a cheap option but I'm thinking of a living roof for a number of reasons.

I thought this was an interesting read:

Green Roof Guidelines

If you go down the green roof route, you can save a lot of money by getting an EPDM pond liner for the roof membrane - exactly the same thing they will sell you as a roofing membrane, but half the price.

Not sure of the price of metal sheeting options, but the EPDM is not particularly expensive although you need to deck out with ply to glue the membrane on.

Also with the green roof option, you need to allow for the weight of what ever 'greenery' you plan to put on it which can be substantial.