american pick ups

jose

Just wondering if anybody here uses american pick ups?

every other day people ask about hilux/ranger/ l200 double cabs for work.

and the general response is the tub is too small and doesnt hold much.

Well how about the american ones.

I know they are over all much bigger but the trade off is a bigger tub on the back.

and you still have a comfy double cab for 4-6 people!

Be keen to hear if any body had or does do this.

im looking into it, potentially swapping my 4x4 ( got a jeep commander) to something like a GMC Silverado.

that way i have a comfy vehicle and can also use it for work ( with added sides and perhaps a load handler).

I have a vauxhall movano for my main day to day work truck. This would work 1-2 days a week on smaller jobs.

Please let me know your thought and experiences.

Cheers

I have one but only use it when I am busy and van and trailers are loaded .

It's a Ford F350 super duty with a 5,4 l motor , it's great for towing and has a 8ft rear bed but they are just too big for tight jobs , has a turning circle like the titanic (useless).

Also mine is 2 wheel drive , okay if loaded has it has power lock on rear diff but being 23ft long it's like Bambi on ice when empty .

Ste

I have one but only use it when I am busy and van and trailers are loaded .

It's a Ford F350 super duty with a 5,4 l motor , it's great for towing and has a 8ft rear bed but they are just too big for tight jobs , has a turning circle like the titanic (useless).

Also mine is 2 wheel drive , okay if loaded has it has power lock on rear diff but being 23ft long it's like Bambi on ice when empty .

Ste

Def something to look into I think! I've got a ford ranger factory built tipper but on bigger jobs you soon fill it, I was felling a few trees on an industrial park the other week and had to tip off 5 times 3 mile down road, so it soon eats up your time and diesel!!

I looked into it quite deeply a few years ago and came to the conclusion they are ok if you want a posing truck and didn't want to put anything heavy in the back, or you are going to be using it purely for towing.

If you are using it for business it opened a minefield of plating, O licence and tacho issues, in the main due to them being built like tanks and being close to 3500kg empty, especially the 350 and 3500 models from various manufacturers.

I looked into it quite deeply a few years ago and came to the conclusion they are ok if you want a posing truck and didn't want to put anything heavy in the back, or you are going to be using it purely for towing.

If you are using it for business it opened a minefield of plating, O licence and tacho issues, in the main due to them being built like tanks and being close to 3500kg empty, especially the 350 and 3500 models from various manufacturers.

What he said. I looked into it too and came to the conclusion that a 13-18t tipping lorry would be better in every way.

So I bought another Transit!

Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

What he said. I looked into it too and came to the conclusion that a 13-18t tipping lorry would be better in every way.

Hahaha!

Ahh the good old transit saves the day ;)

i hadnt thought of the weight tbh. I was sat in bed last night when i came across one and thought it might do 2 jobs in one.

bummer back to the drawing board.

Thank you for the replies, it will save me hours of googling and visits to car dealers to look at trucks.

Hahaha!

Not true with weight being 3500 when nearly empty,has my F350 is 2wd and not a diesel lump it weighs 2346kg empty and that good for truck of that size.

Ste

My old 6.2 v8 diesel lwb 4x4 single cab at 2,1 tons was lighter than a Range Rover. It was an ex fire brigade truck so it was right hand drive, it could tow anything anywhere and was a good weight carrier, also cheap for spares and not at all bad on diesel.

It was like the one below.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=167540&stc=1&d=1414002657

images.jpg.f54ec4f06e60a672fbb47bde243556cd.jpg

Not true with weight being 3500 when nearly empty,has my F350 is 2wd and not a diesel lump it weighs 2346kg empty and that good for truck of that size.

Ste

The new Dodge Ram Dually 4x4 with Cummins has a kerbweight of 3560kg

In 4x2 Cummins it's 3380kg

There is a big difference (nearly half a ton) between the diesel and petrol weight.

I don't know about the Ford's as they didn't interest me due to the fuel economy of the powerstroke diesels, but someone I know had a 2500 Ram with 5.9 Cummins and it was pretty much built like a lorry with a pickup cab, but 300+HP was appealing :)