chainsaws noise ..neighbour

timberdelf

Ok we just moved to a new yard old fam...trouble is the one house near by is now kickingbup a stink abou saw noise !..typical ..

we are leasing land and in lease it states we are thier to vut wood up with chainsaw ..letting egency is behind us no problem...owners of land backing us no issues.

It states in lease we can worl 5 days a week 8 till 5 and this is what were doing nothing more hour wise.

how do we stand with any noise levels off saws / laws

any tips to help us defend our selves?

We have tried to speak to the complainant saying we will try to work with him but given we have only just moved to the site we are trying to get it in ship shape working condotion and process firewood..but this guy doesnt want to know.

hes now taking pictures of us working and no doubt council will pop thier head rpundbon site at some point.

any commentd or help appreceated

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where you stand in the eyes of the council as off the noise levels but just make sure everything else is in order like no oil/fuel spills etc as in my experience when the council get involved they like to have a good nose around , be ready for any questions about green waste storage licences etc, environment agency may also pay a visit!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It might bean idea to contact the local council and ask for a copy of their local plan (sometimes called area plan). This shows a colour coded map of the area that shows how the council want the different areas used.

If your yard is shown industrial you should be laughing :)

What was the yard used as before? If it was industrial/ noisy there is more chance you will get away with using chainsaws.

In the mean time how about using quieter equipment?

What it says in your lease wont be of interest to the council.

It might bean idea to contact the local council and ask for a copy of their local plan (sometimes called area plan). This shows a colour coded map of the area that shows how the council want the different areas used.

If your yard is shown industrial you should be laughing :)

What was the yard used as before? If it was industrial/ noisy there is more chance you will get away with using chainsaws.

In the mean time how about using quieter equipment?

What it says in your lease wont be of interest to the council.

ok thanks for area plan idea good one il get on to it.

its a dis used smallholding consisting of dutch barn out buildings

as for quiter equipment i dont know how we can do this as the chainsaw is pretty key to disc up for people to split wood with axes?

Other thing is what other licences ...permits..do we or might need?

I think strictly speaking you would need planning permission to process wood, unless you're harvesting all the wood from your smallholding?

I've spent more than my fair share of time designing noise fences for motorways :( if you put a physical barrier between your chainsaw and neighbours house your neighbour will hear less noise.

If you pile a mound of earth round your yard your neighbours will hear less, even a couple of shipping containers will contain noise.

Could you use an electric saw to cut the wood? When I'm on construction sites I notice electric pumps are a lot quieter than engine ones...

Carrying on from matelot's idea would it be possible to stack the split logs etc between the working cutting area and the neighbours property to aid in noise suppression ?? As far as licences, are you into just logs or a full blown arb business as the council might want to check for green waste carrying /storing / burning licences etc... Finally they might tell you to apply for a 'change of use' on the land.

Carrying on from matelot's idea would it be possible to stack the split logs etc between the working cutting area and the neighbours property to aid in noise suppression ?? As far as licences, are you into just logs or a full blown arb business as the council might want to check for green waste carrying /storing / burning licences etc... Finally they might tell you to apply for a 'change of use' on the land.

Burning licences???????:confused1: