Possible decay on Large Weeping Willow

barnesy1977

Hi all, I'm after some advice relating to a very large weeping willow we have. I have no knowledge at all of trees, but I noticed a void in a weeping willow we have in the garden. We moved into the property about 12 months ago and so it was probably already there but we've only just noticed it. We live in a conservation area, and although we've contacted the tree officer at the local authority about this, they haven't been interested in coming to check it. I've made 2 appointments for Arborists to come and take a look/survery but neither have turned up. We had conifers lopped recently, but the guy said they had no knowledge on something like this :-/

I've attached some photos of the tree and the potential problem. It's within falling distance of the house so I'd like to get some info on it. There's evidence of climbing ivy at some point in the past so possibly related to this.

Any info anybody can give will be greatly appreciated :-)

Many thanks in advance

20140511_123656.jpg.e363f3257f90404cc56a3d26aa019f1c.jpg

20140508_182937.jpg.46c1258bd47c1317e6b02bae562eb325.jpg

20140508_182921.jpg.9cd44d2d7acae88753ea5dd3b7fdc59b.jpg

A large area ( a vascular channel) of dysfunctional and now rotting wood is clearly visible, and also the reason for the slow and creeping (progressive) failure occurring as it twists, buckles and folds downward assisted by a lop sided and weighted crown.

Wouldn't fell though, manage one far worse (like this one i suspect) has Laetiporus sulphureus, and in a high risk zone. I decided to maintain that one and keep it as its very handsome, large high amenity and all the body language suggests it will twist down and fold away from harm.

You should have the tree inspected professionally if in doubt. NTSG states that it is ok for residents to monitor the condition of their own trees in the first instance looking for obvious defects but once these are identified you must seek professional advice. The council wont come out to inspect your trees they are not the duty holder, the tree owner is. Where about is the tree? front or rear? is it visible from a public place?

Thanks for the reply guys. We had arranged for 2 people to come and take a look, but neither turned up, hence our frustration which has lead to us posting a message on the forum.

We are located in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands B74 if anybody is available. The tree is in the rear garden and not visible without access.

Many thanks

David

Hi David,

Further to your request. I operate a tree consultancy business based near Dudley (about 10 miles from you) so if I can be of assistance then please feel free to contact me directly. My contact details are on my website which can be accessed below. See hyperlink on my signature.

Regards,