16" bar on ms181

the hedge man

Hi I know the ms181 can have a 16" bar on it but can anyone tell me if it chugs a bit. Is it a certain chain/bar combo that only runs on this setup?

I've run a 14" on it for years and it goes fine and seeing as it's such a light and nimble saw I'd like it if it runs a 16"

They can be bought off the shelf with 16" 3/8 1.3 set up which is the same as the 211 etc.

They wont be very fast with it tho, you certainly wouldn't want to bury the bar on it!! I guess if its just a reach thing to stop you stretching or bending its not so much of an issue if only being used on small stuff.

They wont be very fast with it tho, you certainly wouldn't want to bury the bar on it!! I guess if its just a reach thing to stop you stretching or bending its not so much of an issue if only being used on small stuff.

I can see the wisdom in this. But as he said, I wouldn't want to bury the bar. Can't see a 181 being happy on 18".

I started with an MS181. Thought highly of it when I had it. A couple of years elapsed and I bought a pro saw and thought I ought to have a spare, so I bought an MS181 again. It was so painfully slow that I immediately got rid of it.

I'd honestly just sell it on eBay and get an MS241/261 or Husqvarna 550XP. You won't believe the difference.