How Deep Should Telecom Cables Be?

Andrew Reed

hi

Does anyone know of a spec for how deep telecoms cables ought to be . I found a very shallow one today at 25mm under a domestic lawn (no damage to it). Was wondering if Sky, BT and Virgin have a specification.

For 240V power cables I know it is advised to be 500mm general gardens, 600mm veg plots and general agriculture premises, 1m for cultivated land.

There is a recommended depth iirc, but it appears cable companies put them in as shallow as they can to avoid hard work.

When we went through a fibre optic that was 25mm under the ground Virgin repaired it foc but I think mainly because the customer was going to cancel their subscription with them if they didn't

There is a recommended depth iirc, but it appears cable companies put them in as shallow as they can to avoid hard work.

When we went through a fibre optic that was 25mm under the ground Virgin repaired it foc but I think mainly because the customer was going to cancel their subscription with them if they didn't

I think it's cheaper for them to repair the odd one that gets damaged than it is to bury them all 30cm or so under them ground so they're not bothered.

Virgin have admitted it is cheaper for them to come out and do the odd repair than to do each job properly in the first place. I hit a cable with the stump grinder a couple of years ago that was only about 3" down, called them up and the van was with me before I had finished grinding. I stayed to watch the repair and even this was left only about 4" down.

Time and motion study taken to the extreme if you ask me.