New MS150 Stihl and carving bar

• 1 month later...
mixed reports. some like em, some hate em. several people have had them split within an hour or so of very light work. im gonna pass i think. the sugi bar is a bit narower than the standard stihl dime bar and works for me

People love the small tip but as above I have had x4 back out of x20 with split tips which is not good.

That's not to say wasted money as all x4 of these were warranty replaced and to be fair the manufacturer is going to back these and also look at improving their processes - it just looks like the weld at the very tip needs strengthening.

:001_smile:

I tried out mine today and I went very easy on it. So far so good. Ran black oil for less than a minute and is now running clean, didn't let it get too hot.

It's my first time with the ms150 and I found it a little unresponsive on the trigger, almost like a delay of power from the trigger to the chain. A bit like the ms170. Hope it picks up or I'll just have to get used to it.

Other than that it's a lovely light saw:biggrin:

Well thats the news from the man who knows. Rob, did you see the post that Tom (splinters) put up on this forums a couple weeks back? referring to a new stihl bar?

People love the small tip but as above I have had x4 back out of x20 with split tips which is not good.

That's not to say wasted money as all x4 of these were warranty replaced and to be fair the manufacturer is going to back these and also look at improving their processes - it just looks like the weld at the very tip needs strengthening.

I was in two minds when I got mine, the saw ran on a bit when released the trigger and did not respond for a second when pulled the trigger, I also thought it vibrated abit much but now seems fine .The chain seems to get plenty of oil , it uses a full tank of oil , petrol each every time.as for the bar I only use it for small detail , I dont put a lot of pressure on it , but it gets where other beers can not reach.I give it 10 out of 10 up to now.speeking of beer see u.

• 2 weeks later...
Well thats the news from the man who knows. Rob, did you see the post that Tom (splinters) put up on this forums a couple weeks back? referring to a new stihl bar?

Sorry Dave only just seen this post - but yes I have got hold of a couple of the new Stihl carving bars for the MS150 and they look pretty good - they have gone for a laminated bar as well...

The new Sugihara ones are solid.

The Stihl bar is not as small tipped I'd say R8 (8mm diameter) although that's a guess as have not got round to measuring it. The Sugihara will be R7. The Samurai is R6.

Incidentally both the carvers I sponsor Nick Speakman and Tommy Craggs (treecarver) both split the nose on their samurai bars - got replacements and these have been fine.

With the samurai bars they are delicate and you cannot use them as you would a normal carving bar ie. no boring, no large cuts, they are purely and only able to be used for fine end detailing.

I'll try and find that other thread you were talking about...

I was in two minds when I got mine, the saw ran on a bit when released the trigger and did not respond for a second when pulled the trigger, I also thought it vibrated abit much but now seems fine .The chain seems to get plenty of oil , it uses a full tank of oil , petrol each every time.as for the bar I only use it for small detail , I dont put a lot of pressure on it , but it gets where other beers can not reach.I give it 10 out of 10 up to now.speeking of beer see u.

Good stuff!