suggestions for a PTO chipper, non-commercial work, please

mr_magicfingers

I recently bought a small farm with 7 acres of woodland. Over the coming years I'll be returning the woodland to coppice (it's old hazel under oak/ash standards) along with bringing all the hedgerows back to laid Devon banks. This is going to mean a fair amount of felling, thinning and other tree removal/trimming on a seasonal basis.

I have an old Massey 135 so looking for a PTO chipper to take the smaller wood, brash, branches etc that is too small for putting in the wood store. The plan is to chip it and use it as mulch on the gardens/paths etc. For coppice clearance or hedge-laying work I'd drive the tractor down to where trees are felled, limb the felled trees and feed the brash into the chipper with it's output going into hippo bags in the back of the Kawasaki Mule that we have and then put them away until needed.

Not looking at high end professional kit as it won't be in daily use, but want something that's not a toy :001_tongue: This one is made locally to us and looks like it would be suitable, what do people think please, and what else should I be looking at in a similar price bracket, I'm happy with 2nd hand if I can buy from somewhere reputable.

8 Inch Tractor mounted wood chipper, mulcher : KTM Machinery

Thanks.

I recently bought a small farm with 7 acres of woodland. Over the coming years I'll be returning the woodland to coppice (it's old hazel under oak/ash standards) along with bringing all the hedgerows back to laid Devon banks. This is going to mean a fair amount of felling, thinning and other tree removal/trimming on a seasonal basis.

I have an old Massey 135 so looking for a PTO chipper to take the smaller wood, brash, branches etc that is too small for putting in the wood store. The plan is to chip it and use it as mulch on the gardens/paths etc. For coppice clearance or hedge-laying work I'd drive the tractor down to where trees are felled, limb the felled trees and feed the brash into the chipper with it's output going into hippo bags in the back of the Kawasaki Mule that we have and then put them away until needed.

Not looking at high end professional kit as it won't be in daily use, but want something that's not a toy :001_tongue:This one is made locally to us and looks like it would be suitable, what do people think please, and what else should I be looking at in a similar price bracket, I'm happy with 2nd hand if I can buy from somewhere reputable.

8 Inch Tractor mounted wood chipper, mulcher : KTM Machinery

Thanks.

Do you live in China???

That chipper is pretty rubbish but will do your job OK. It struggles to feed brashy stuff (only one top feed roller scrabbling against a mirror smoth floor...) but will be fine for straight stuff like hazel. Produces a nice sample on straight logs 2-6" but that's a waste of good wood. Quality rubbish but very simple and an orang-outang with a stick welder could fix it up (how do you think it was made?? :lol:)

But...

I don't reckon you'll see your money back on your investment and the extra time/diesel taken to chip and transport vs. burning. If you need chip for your paths then someone one here will be able to drop you a load at the time you need it, rather than messing around with a mule and ton bags and storing it (how will you lift them??)

If you want to use the smaller wood and see a return on it, then get one of those processors that shear it into small logs. :thumbup1: Someone will remind me what they're called, I can't remember.

If you must buy that Chinese chipper, then I'd wait until one comes up secondhand at half the price.

I would put much faith in a chipper that says it will do 8" but yet will go on a cat 1 linkage. I'd of thought you wouldn't have more than 30hp at the back end and a lift of maybe 1000kg although i don't know for sure. Look at 3-5" chippers if you need one.

It handles 8" surprisingly well. Only straight processor timber mind! :lol:

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. To answer the questions raised:

I should have said sold from near me, not made ;) sorry about that.

Why not burn it? Well we're going to be opening a campsite on our land and I don't want to have repeated burn scars around the place. Burning a brash pile makes quite a large scar so I'd either have to have them around the site or find a way to drag all the brash to where it can be burned.

Some of it will certainly be made into habitat piles in the woodland but the wood is very overgrown after 40 years of being left alone, there's a lot that needs taking out to give it a chance to regrow and open up a bit.

Some will indeed be used in the hedging and some will be used for making hurdles, gates and other items around the site but there's still going to be a fair amount of the smaller stuff. Maybe just having a single burn site would be better in the long run, but then you have to drag it all from place to place.

Interesting thought about buying mulch as we need it. I was trying to be responsible and actually use the byproduct of our thinning in the most responsible way. Will reconsider some of the options now. Will also look for an alternative chipper/shredder given comments about the one I posted. This is what I love about arbtalk :)

What do you wish to use the chip for?

If chipped with sap in the branches and put in dumpy bags, it will decompose and try to compost and basically rot out your bag and if you want the chip for chip then this is not the way to do it.

Unless you are working with some one else, heading off to chip and bring back the chippings your using 2 vehicles so your going to do a fair bit of walking back for the other vehicle.

An old 35 is a great tractor, but for woodland work and running a chipper, it won't take long to realise its maybe not the tool for the job.

If you do stick with the 35 then look for a gravity fed pto chipper, very simple and no hydraulics to bother about.

If you have a Kawasaki Mule then look for a cheap tow behind chipper, you'll get 1 for a grand and stick some flotation tyres on it and away you go, put high sides on the mule and you have a great little chipping unit, stick a winch on the front for woodland work, I have 1 on my RTV and it's great.

Hope this doesn't come across too doom and gloom:biggrin: