dealing with green waste from windblown connifers?

tree-fancier123

Hi,

1) If I ring up the stems of newly windblown leland cypress (about 18" at base) how long should each ring be approx if I want to split by hand using a splitting wedge?

2) If customer can't find anyone to take the logs she is looking into skips for the big wood. I just gave her a price to cut up and only take away stuff less than 6" as I can just put it on trailer and go on weigh bridge at tip and pay the usual green waste tonnage, but their shredder only does 6"

Anyone any good at estimating or have used skips for waste away? One guy the customer had round to price told her 30ton of wood. If he is near the mark and I take maybe 10 15 ton away as the branches, what I'm asking is roughly how many 12 yard skips for the big stuff (2 connifers at approx 60ft each)?

The skip firm said they'd do the stems on green waste rate, but I guess I'd have to sort the two root balls into a mixed skip and try to beat off some of the soil to fill in the holes? What do people do with root balls if they dont want to price for a crane?

Thanks for reading and any replies.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

1) If I ring up the stems of newly windblown leland cypress (about 18" at base) how long should each ring be approx if I want to split by hand using a splitting wedge?

2) If customer can't find anyone to take the logs she is looking into skips for the big wood. I just gave her a price to cut up and only take away stuff less than 6" as I can just put it on trailer and go on weigh bridge at tip and pay the usual green waste tonnage, but their shredder only does 6"

Anyone any good at estimating or have used skips for waste away? One guy the customer had round to price told her 30ton of wood. If he is near the mark and I take maybe 10 15 ton away as the branches, what I'm asking is roughly how many 12 yard skips for the big stuff (2 connifers at approx 60ft each)?

The skip firm said they'd do the stems on green waste rate, but I guess I'd have to sort the two root balls into a mixed skip and try to beat off some of the soil to fill in the holes? What do people do with root balls if they dont want to price for a crane?

Thanks for reading and any replies.

Where is the wood? Some people on here might take it away for you to for firewood.

the rootballs are at right angles to the ground, lifted clean out

You'll still be able to grind them, I've been sent to building sites to grind out rootballs because it was far more cost effective than taking them away. Btw it was tedious job haha

It seems conifer is not so popular as firewood (maybe spits a lot or burns too quick) one Isle of Wight log supplier says this on their website "Our logs are a mix of the highest quality hardwoods including Ash, Oak, Hazel and Field Maple. We never include conifers"

Edited by tree-fancier123
sp