Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Landscaping Forum for those wishing to diversify into landscaping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-13   #1 (permalink)

Grass cutting season

I was finishing pruning back in a garden this week when the next door neighbours garden jumps out gets his mower going and cuts the neighbours lawn. Surely its too early as next morning we had a hard frost.
Old 02-02-13   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Re: Grass cutting season

I cut mine all year round as long as its dry.

"its gonna be a chiller & a thriller when i get that gorilla in manilla".........muhammad ali
Old 02-02-13   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012

tis the trouble. i have to cut the land lords grass (he uses next door like a holiday home)

was looking scruffy so ran over it with the mower and then it snowed!!
Old 02-02-13   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.varty View Post
I cut mine all year round as long as its dry.
Seriously doesn't it go yellow with the frost. I'll have to get the mower out from service to get started. Has been a funny season this year, trees haven't been dormant for long and the saps risen and now the grass season is almost back on.
Old 02-02-13   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenmac View Post
Seriously doesn't it go yellow with the frost. I'll have to get the mower out from service to get started. Has been a funny season this year, trees haven't been dormant for long and the saps risen and now the grass season is almost back on.
I cut mine just before the snow and frost,one morning it was minus 7. Snows all gone now and the grass is perfect, just dont go to low.

"its gonna be a chiller & a thriller when i get that gorilla in manilla".........muhammad ali
Old 02-02-13   #6 (permalink)

Back to it then, was looking forward to a hard but quiet few weeks, pruning back, getting the final bits of winter work sorted but looks like its game on again.
Old 03-02-13   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2012, 2013

Cutting wet soil encourages compaction= moss and poor grass growth. In truth this really doesn't matter anymore. the fine lawns of yesteryear are not so common now.
Before Xmas we laid a lawn on top of snow and frozen soil. Went back to it a week later and the snow was still frozen under the turf. It's now fine and the weeds we introduced are thriving. (Customer wanted a lawn to match his existing) Never done that before because we were trained not to. In reality faced with a deadline and an unfussy customer we have proved that it can be done. Challenge what you think you know.
Old 03-02-13   #8 (permalink)

I was enjoying the calm of having time to thin and prune without the madness of cutting the grass. Just looked at my own lawn and its already going to need 2 cuts just to get it down. Problem with ours is that its still too wet to get a machine on.
Old 03-02-13   #9 (permalink)
Senior member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Most of the rules learned at college for me have been ripped up. I've just not got the man power, machinery and budget to keep the lawns the way they did in them olden days. I'm spending more and more time fixing areas where lorries have cut across the verges.

A tip I use at this time of year is to drop the mower down one step from the highest setting and go round the edge of the lawn then set it to the highest setting and go round the same way but in the width of the mower. For me this gives a neat finish and blends the lawn quite well. Quick edge as well.

I've got alot of daffys naturalised all over the lawns so I have to wait to see where they pop up each year.

I wait till the spring time before I start putting patterns in the grass. As I have a wonderful mix of ryegrass and moss!
Old 03-02-13   #10 (permalink)

Just serviced the stihl strimmer, sharpened the edging shears and edging iron on the grinder and will hopefully collect the ariens mower from service later this week. In the meantime will make do with putting customers off the idea of cutting this week.