escallonia black spot

carlos

i am looking after a place with a load of escallonia hedges some of which have this black spot disease, the client has asked me to spray the hedge so iam wondering what would be the best product to use??, they suggested the stuff used to protect potatoes from blight?

also they asked me to fertilise the hedge, what would be best for that??

thanks carl

i am looking after a place with a load of escallonia hedges some of which have this black spot disease, the client has asked me to spray the hedge so iam wondering what would be the best product to use??, they suggested the stuff used to protect potatoes from blight?

also they asked me to fertilise the hedge, what would be best for that??

thanks carl

I really wouldn't waste time spraying, in order to control the fungus you will need to spray every two weeks during the growing season, fungicide of any description is nasty stuff. I know several nurseries near me and they have all stopped producing the plant because its too difficult to grow.

Dythane is the stuff used on spuds and ya that would probably do but id say something like Punch C would be more affective. Normally you will have to alternate the fungicide every spray to prevent resistance

If still determined to though oddly enough a grassland! fertilizer like 18-6-12 has quite a good slow release affect and will provide a boost to the plants. But if the hedge has lost a lot of its leaves at its base its unlikely to regenerate from this wood.

If your in west cork id put in Griselinia fast growing and will do well in your neck of the woods, cant grow it in the midlands anymore too cold!

:001_smile:

thanks for the info woodland.

i will try some dythane and see how it works, mainly as they have asked me too and also try some grassland fertilizer too.

yes griselinea does seem to do well ,iam not too keen on its look but its very versatile in how one can prune it.

thanks carl