Best Strimmer cord for stock fences

Nick Connell

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone recommend the best strimmer cord for strimming around stock netting. I bought a big roll of red stuff around 8years ago and iam sure it's getting more brittle. Any tips well received. Thanks

Nick

Try soaking it in a bucket of water over night . Nylon is hygroscopic and will absorb some water and make it less brittle . If buying new I can recommend " Diamond Edge " made by Desert Extrusions .

Can anyone recommend the best strimmer cord for strimming around stock netting. I bought a big roll of red stuff around 8years ago and iam sure it's getting more brittle. Any tips well received. Thanks

Nick

Buy a smaller roll next time... pointless buying strimmer wire to last a decade LOL..

Stay away from that diamond rubbish as well.... in fact I'd just get bog standard wire if I was you, its only gonna get caught on the fence anyway and constantly snap off..

better to waste cheap stuff than expensive stuff...

Buy a smaller roll next time... pointless buying strimmer wire to last a decade LOL..

Stay away from that diamond rubbish as well.... in fact I'd just get bog standard wire if I was you, its only gonna get caught on the fence anyway and constantly snap off..

better to waste cheap stuff than expensive stuff...

" that diamond rubbish " ? I run 4mm square and it rattles down brambles no problem .......or are you winding me up ? :sneaky2:

" that diamond rubbish " ? I run 4mm square and it rattles down brambles no problem .......or are you winding me up ? :sneaky2:

Nope not winding you up, I tried it once, couldn't stand the stuff..

I use stihl myself or occasionally I get some bog standard from a gardening shop a couple of miles up the road...

If I'm gonna be doing anything hard core like Brambles, I use two strimmers, one with a blade, another with the thicker core wire... I switch up depending on how dense it is..

If its gonna get caught on wire, I use the thicker stuff, or if its my gardening strimmer just bite the bullet and prepare to tap out a bit more wire than normal...

Here an there you do tend to get a batch of crap wire, I tend to throw it away and get another roll, its better than strimming through gritted teeth :thumbup1:

Nope not winding you up, I tried it once, couldn't stand the stuff..

I use stihl myself or occasionally I get some bog standard from a gardening shop a couple of miles up the road...

If I'm gonna be doing anything hard core like Brambles, I use two strimmers, one with a blade, another with the thicker core wire... I switch up depending on how dense it is..

If its gonna get caught on wire, I use the thicker stuff, or if its my gardening strimmer just bite the bullet and prepare to tap out a bit more wire than normal...

Here an there you do tend to get a batch of crap wire, I tend to throw it away and get another roll, its better than strimming through gritted teeth :thumbup1:

OK . thats your opinion and you are entitled to it obviously . I will word my reply ( based on my experience ) .....Stay away from that Stihl rubbish . Don't use a " tap " head , they are crap . Oregon Jet Fit head is the one to go for . Tap heads snap too easily . Diamond Edge Line is about the best you can get . It is formed in a vacuum to eliminate any air pockets in the line and as said soaking is always beneficial what ever line you use . I also use a mulching blade when appropriate . 45cc Husqvarna RX for the line and 55cc Husqvara for the blade . Don't do " gardening " ..... :001_smile:

Edited by Stubby

For strimming against wire I just use 2.4mm in a 4 head because it breaks anyway and you get more length to a bumphead if it's smaller. Or 7mm oregon stuff if you want to smash the stuff apart.

Blimey . 7.0mm That's blade territory surely ? :001_smile: