How do I build a client base? - countryside & garden services

benpritchard

I've been doing rail, domestic and forestry work full time for the last 3 years but now I want to go it alone doing countryside and gardening jobs. I've got the basic contracting kit and skills, from building sheds/fences to clearing scrub and felling. And I studied horticulture at college.

How did you guys get started? What kit do you view as essential? Flyers? Website? What information on advertising - a full list of services, or simply 'cointryside & garden services?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Ben

I've been doing rail, domestic and forestry work full time for the last 3 years but now I want to go it alone doing countryside and gardening jobs. I've got the basic contracting kit and skills, from building sheds/fences to clearing scrub and felling. And I studied horticulture at college.

How did you guys get started? What kit do you view as essential? Flyers? Website? What information on advertising - a full list of services, or simply 'cointryside & garden services?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben, I would suggest that "word of mouth" is everything, well certainly very important and particularly in the domestic sector and when just starting out, so maybe try to kick start this with an ad in a few local parish mags etc (usually cheap and keeping travel to a minimum.)

Keep any advertising simple and to the point and find your 'USP'...which may just be your natural charm n persona :001_rolleyes:

Good luck,

Paul

PS Others, far better qualified to advise, will hopefully follow here...if only to say what I've said is nonsense :confused1::001_smile:

It does take time.

Make sure your customers are happy. I've had far more compliment on the standard of the tidy up than the quality of the work, sad, but true. I guess they know more about a clean drive than good arb, so no point worrying.

do not use yellow after 1 year only 2 phone calls they promised extra work and call so after I stopped the last two months payments they sent me a bill and said that it wasn't there fault it was my website ect after I have 127 5star reviews and wanted a further 1000 for a website it's wasn't fairer so I'm in the middle of a argument they want 200 and ate send debt collection out is there anything I can do

oh ps use local mags parish and Facebook I no it sounds mad but facebook actually works for me

good look

Cheers guys,

I've been flyering, advertised in local shops and put my name down with all the letting agents in town. I'll get on the council today.

I've made a pricing structure of 20 per hour, 75 for half day and 140 per day. Sound about right?

What kit do you think you need to get a running start?