Any geologists in the house?

aspenarb

A client has a lawn that`s on quite a steep hill which is predominantly hard ground that is high and dry. There are several wet spots of around a metre square that are so soft you could end up waist deep if you stood there long enough, unless he drives his mower over these area`s flat out he ends up digging it out. I need to engineer a solution so am looking for ideas, has anyone here had any experience of this? clock the vid.

Bob

image.jpg1_zpsjutwdxw3.jpg

[ame]

[/ame]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have springs in our field, as certainly don't look like that!

Possible an old sceptic pipe that has decayed? Or no smell? But water looks like "grey water" associated with it.

I would find a local dowser and see what or where it leads as it appears they are all in a row?

Can't help with the problem but that's one hell of a lawn!

Sceptic pipes! Are they the ones that insist Elvis is still alive?

Can't help with the problem but that's one hell of a lawn!

Sceptic pipes! Are they the ones that insist Elvis is still alive?

So you are sceptic about the septic then Village?

A bit more info, there are no soakaways, watermains, septic tanks and there is no hard standing run off onto this area. These wet spots are randomly dotted about , there have been previous attempts to dig them out and fill with hardcore but they seem to pop up elsewhere. The ground is sandy with small scalping sized sandstone mixed in which in the main drains well. I too was thinking springs but would there be this many?

Bob

Have the wet holes always been there? How long has he had it?

I'd say the above is probably right some sort of burst pipe, water/mud is a very strange colour.

Try having a go at divineing urself, works real easy with a couple of bent bits of fencing wire.

Try having a walk about uphill and see if u get the wires crossing n a few points in a row.

Ideally u want to find out where/why water is seeping up there first and try to stop it.

If it is a drain digging down to expose it and rodding or jetting it to clear it

If u can't ur best bet will be to dig a drain, run the pipe throu the 3 wet spots and ideally tie into an existing land drain, ditch or possibly a great big soakaway, but thats doubtful depending on soil type/conditions

The council has spent a fortune not far from me, trying to stop a spring from welling up in the middle of a lane. Despite three attempts and a lot of civil engineering, the spring is now welling up 10' below their last attempt.

I would save your customer a lot of money, and plant a bog garden in the wet places.

A client has a lawn that`s on quite a steep hill which is predominantly hard ground that is high and dry. There are several wet spots of around a metre square that are so soft you could end up waist deep if you stood there long enough, unless he drives his mower over these area`s flat out he ends up digging it out. I need to engineer a solution so am looking for ideas, has anyone here had any experience of this? clock the vid.

Bob

image.jpg1_zpsjutwdxw3.jpg

Are you over chalk ? And what is the location of the site? I might know someone who could shed some light on this, I will call them tomorrow and ask . Tha

Any chance of looking out an old map of the area? 40-50yrs. or older. Might be something the present owner doesn't know about.

I've seen something similar many years ago over limestone caves. Where the voids beneath the surface, had almost breached the surface. It was and is, the kind of ground you didn't jump up and down on. There were/are small patches of peaty soil, where soil is less than one would wish for.

You can stand in one place and be safe and a foot either side, you can easily push a walking stick & full arm's length into the ground. Sometimes the stick just goes in a few inches and suddenly there's nothing more. You pull the stick out and drop in a stone; you hear nothing for seconds, then there's the distant echoing sound of stone on rock. You sometimes see the forces training on the moors. You never see them over these areas.

Edited by TGB