weedkiller

phil123

Hi Guys,

Recently I've had more and more of my customers asking for weed killer to be put down. I've only recently started my own landscaping business and I was a tree surgeon before so I have very little knowledge about weedkiller.

However my last customer asked me to weedkiller all their garden paths and driveway which left me no option other than to go to b&q and get the strongest roundup I could find! anyway £100 later and I'm spaying everything with these little diy pump bottles! it was a bit of a joke to be honest. (not only this but about a month later all the weeds look like there starting to come back already!!)

so I'm looking at getting a backpack sprayer but I have no idea where I can get the chemicals in larger quantities to go in it or indeed what they should be? I've priced up a course but at £750 I think it might have to wait till next year! so just looking for some help and advice to tide me over.

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roundup in 5 liter jerrycans at around £50. If the UK has the same new laws as Ireland the shop won't sell you the 5lt unless you provide your licence OR a "name and address". How stringently this will be required depends on the shop. I would bet my bottom dollar there are shops around who won't ask too many questions, its just a case of finding them. Ask around the immigrant community, there may even be a black market for roundup. I stocked up before the new rules came in, roundup is stable for at least a decade. If anyone with a clipboard and yellow vest shows up, you're the landowner.

Not sure I would go with the above advice. You may well be closing the loop of stolen property, chanisaws/chemicals & other folks tools. They're all the same when dealing in dark corners.

We all bemoan the fact when our and our mates sheds get broken into.......It happens all to often on this forum alone.

The bright thing to do until you are qualified with your new & shiny PA's is to find somone who will do the job for you in a safe & professional manner. Someone with PA's

As to chemicals lasting a long time, maybe they do, maybe they don't, but the containers and or contents are often suspect, lableless, diluted, illegal and possibly accessible to minors who may do silly things with them. Just not worth the risk IMO.

Just my tuppence worth!

codlasher

Look for one of the copy chemicals we use Rosate which is similar to roundup but at €80.00 for 20 ltrs (legally) its hard to pass by and works as good as roundup, Here in Ireland we can still use Pistol on hard areas which had residual effect but a bit more pricy than straight Glyphosate (roundup)

You can buy it on amazon no tickets required

Problem solved.

As for the ticket thing, sure if you want to be a professional weed controller then go for it, but if its a case of helping out a client now and then with some domestic spraying, then the ticket is simply another stealth tax, IMO (and, I'd wager, 99% of the Ag. sector) We sprayed roundup for decades without mishap or undue environmental impact. Paying 300-700 odd bucks for a licence will not make domestic spraying better or safer. When it comes to agricultural spraying, maybe the courses are a good thing, maybe not, I don't presume to say. Glyphosate is a pretty low level chemical, they use it to kill cereal crops before harvest for goodness sake, thats why there's roundup in our systems, breastmilk etc - its residues are in flour because it was sprayed on purpose, not contamination drift from granny's bottle sprayer.

Edited by Haironyourchest

Roundup is just a product name,the active ingredient in roundup is glyphosate which can be bought and mixed to use in a backpack sprayer at a fraction of the cost.

A word of warning though-ive read lately that roundup(glyphosate)will be a banned product in the near future as long time use has been linked with cancers in individuals.There was a thread on it on arbtalk not so long ago.

Have you concidered mixing up a natural weedkiller yourself?

Look it up on the internet as there are many options to spraying weeds with natural products rather than expensive chemicals.

Problem solved.

As for the ticket thing, sure if you want to be a professional weed controller then go for it, but if its a case of helping out a client now and then with some domestic spraying, then the ticket is simply another stealth tax, IMO (and, I'd wager, 99% of the Ag. sector) We sprayed roundup for decades without mishap or undue environmental impact. Paying 300-700 odd bucks for a licence will not make domestic spraying better or safer. When it comes to agricultural spraying, maybe the courses are a good thing, maybe not, I don't presume to say. Glyphosate is a pretty low level chemical, they use it to kill cereal crops before harvest for goodness sake, thats why there's roundup in our systems, breastmilk etc - its residues are in flour because it was sprayed on purpose, not contamination drift from granny's bottle sprayer.

You sir imho are an idiot & should keep your 'advice' to yourself

Roundup is just a product name,the active ingredient in roundup is glyphosate which can be bought and mixed to use in a backpack sprayer at a fraction of the cost.

A word of warning though-ive read lately that roundup(glyphosate)will be a banned product in the near future as long time use has been linked with cancers in individuals.There was a thread on it on arbtalk not so long ago.

Have you concidered mixing up a natural weedkiller yourself?

Look it up on the internet as there are many options to spraying weeds with natural products rather than expensive chemicals.

Yes agreed!

Glyphosate is £21.00 + vat per 5.0 litres. FYI you'll need your holding No to purchase. You'll need your PA card if you don't have the above. If you have your PA you do the work in a proper & professional manner, no pi**ing about or back to my earlier post which I stand by. Simple.

There is NO WAY glyphosate is a low level chemical.....It kills every living plant that it touches! The over-spray kills every living plant it touches. Please remember this. Hence is is at the top of the list of chemicals that the authorities are considering banning.

codlasher

Edited by codlasher