Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

International Arborist Forum Discuss arboriculture with other arborists from around the world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-11   #61 (permalink)

Re: Work in Australia

Wayyyyyyy too hot in Oz for me. I worked there for a year with Asplundh and it was a huge culture shock but it got the travel bug going. I moved out to NZ in 98, got residency in 2006 and citizenship last year. I prefer the climate and scenery in NZ to OZ but the people in both countries are choice. People seem to have a more positive outlook on life and the lifestyle is much more outdoors based. I thin atree said the other day that you can be snow boarding one minute and surfing an hour later. I just can't recommend the move highly enough.
Old 21-01-11   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010, 2011

On the programe "Wanted down Under" it said one had to be employed for two years with a firm before you could go self employed in NZ. Not sure if correct and if the same applies to OZ?
Old 21-01-11   #63 (permalink)

Just depends if you have residency or not. You can also get residency under the business catagory by setting up a business when you arrive. You have to prove to immigration that you are making a profit for the first 2 or 3 years and that you are returning so much money into the economy. I don't know the full details but it was something I looked at. Don't know about Oz but for sure if you have the drive and the work ethics you should be able to get the rewards in either country. Just don't come over and expect to land on your feet. You will have to work at it but boy, the rewards are great.