looking overloaded...air ride?

frets1

Hi all,

I have just replaced my 97 single cab hilux with a newer extra cab.

the old one had air ride air suspension on it when I bought it. plug in to a compressor and the back lifts up. I never looked over loaded. I put a high side tipper on it and carried a lot of chip etc.

I used the newer one (09 plate) today for the first time and stuck a load of logs in the back and looked like I was on a launch pad...:confused1:

has anyone else had experience with air ride or the same? I have had no problem with it in 12 years but don't know of any other than mine. it has carried some weight to:001_smile:

would a lift kit and heavy duty springs be the way to go or try the air suspension?

what do you guys use on pick ups?

i have heavey duty springs on my pickup, they help a bit but you know, you can still get the back end dipping without too much effort. i have had no experience with those air suspensions but they sound good!

not sure how much a lift it would help. expect it depends one what sort it is. folk over at hpoc.co.uk should be able to tell you straight or you'll find old posts.

thanks.

the air ride has been spot on.

i would consider another, but know nothing other than what i have read.

if mine is so good, why has no one else got one?

i think they cost about a grand, its a lot but my bed never, ever, went down. i had 1.4 ton on it once. on a farm of course...it handled like a boat mind.

thanks for the advice:thumbup1:

i guess people don't bother cos its still illegal to overload and probably ends up being hard on your truck. your springs on your extra cab may also of had some abuse which is why they are sagging. i looked into getting some springs made up special to carry more weight from here i think, but they said moving 1 ton up much more than 1.5t would result in a shockingly rough ride so i didn;t bother and just got hd springs which i suppose i have regulaly overloaded and are still good!

good points. my old one had a gvw of 2.5 ton

this one is a little better at 2.85. I figure with me and pack lunch should carry 850kg

I want to stay legal so springs it might be.

I will have to limit the size of the chip box, you know the scene, just chip that little bit more....

I had a broken spring on my L200, so replaced both with HD ones. The ride is shocking now empty. I only carry the dogs, tools or odd bits of timber, all of which makes it a bit more bearable. Be prepared for a trade off.

Thats the good thing about air bags no trade off! if loaded stick in 20-30 psi or until it looks right and when empty lower pressure to 2-4 psi just enough to keep air bag inflated!:thumbup1: I agree overloaded is overloaded but less chance of getting stopped if the pickup looks right:biggrin::biggrin: