Grass isn't greener......

CJM

I've owned a husky 540 for around 2 months apart from the husky chain it hasn't been to bad, I decided to get the older stihl 201 out today to give it a run out it's had it carb and exhsust drilled and to be honest it blew the husky out of the water. It started and ran with only one pull it even out cut a 200t, it feels more robust than the 540 and for some reson I have more confidence in then 201 over the 540. I've seen a lot of people rave on about the 540 and I've seen lots of people pass on the 201 but a 10 min mod (I know it shouldn't be done with a new saw) can transform a saw into a top handle that's 2x as good as a 540 and as good if not better than a 200.

My 201 is a 2011 version

Also I've had the 3 saws (200,201 & 540) together not specifically for testing just on a job and all 3 of us agreed the 201 was the better saw that day.

I kind of regret paying £500+ for a saw which my original saw was better I'm just giving people a heads up

I've owned a husky 540 for around 2 months apart from the husky chain it hasn't been to bad, I decided to get the older stihl 201 out today to give it a run out it's had it carb and exhsust drilled and to be honest it blew the husky out of the water. It started and ran with only one pull it even out cut a 200t, it feels more robust than the 540 and for some reson I have more confidence in then 201 over the 540. I've seen a lot of people rave on about the 540 and I've seen lots of people pass on the 201 but a 10 min mod (I know it shouldn't be done with a new saw) can transform a saw into a top handle that's 2x as good as a 540 and as good if not better than a 200.

My 201 is a 2011 version

Also I've had the 3 saws (200,201 & 540) together not specifically for testing just on a job and all 3 of us agreed the 201 was the better saw that day.

I kind of regret paying £500+ for a saw which my original saw was better I'm just giving people a heads up

I have both 201 has had the muff modded the 540 certainly is a lot faster cutting,

Use the 201 on a small syc take down last week and I quite liked it both good saws, I only bought the 540 as my 201s handle fell to bits so needed a new saw quick.

Think the 540 needs to be going flat out though to see the bet of it and I think it's better balanced 201 does feel a bit of a brick after using 540

I've owned a husky 540 for around 2 months apart from the husky chain it hasn't been to bad, I decided to get the older stihl 201 out today to give it a run out it's had it carb and exhsust drilled .....

Interested to know what it was you drilled in the carb to make it so good ? We have a 201 and even after drilling the exhaust its not as good as our 540 . We also have a 200 that is as good as a 200 has always been so not a problem . Not quite as grunty as the 540 . The 201 is still pants compared to the other 2 saws .....

Edited by Stubby

My 201 is a 2011 version

In the interests of a fair comparison, the 201 is pants out of the box and you are comparing a modified one with a stock saw, why not compare it to a modified 540?

Interested to know what it was you drilled in the carb to make it so good ? We have a 201 and even after drilling the exhaust its not as good as our 540 . We also have a 200 that is as good as a 200 has always been so not a problem . Not quite as grunty as the 540 . The 201 is still pants compared to the other 2 saws .....

It's not what I drilled into the carb it's what I drilled out of the carb. A small resistor in the H screw just means you can turn it up quarter of a turn

In the interests of a fair comparison, the 201 is pants out of the box and you are comparing a modified one with a stock saw, why not compare it to a modified 540?

That is true but I'm not prepared to modify my 2 month old saw yet

I had one of the first 201s and also have a later one both blow any of my or friends 200s out of the water hands down, they are better in every way.

WM Tree Services

Best Kent Tree Surgeons for Professional Tree Surgery Work in Maidstone

I've got one of the first ones and it was terrible it was on the verge of dangerous.

A unguarded chain helps a lot

All that is drilled is a retainer that allows you to take the limit adjuster off the H screw giving more adjustment!

The coils on these saws seems to be limited to around 12,500, seems a bit low to me.

The MS200 still takes some beating when it is set up right!