wood glue

slackbladder

Who can recommend a really good wood glue for laminating the arms for rocking chairs after they have been steam bent

Most glues are too brittle and you can hear them crack

I have tried gorilla pva ,titebond, araldite.The only glue I have had any success with is permabond ET515, but its very expensive

Any other ideas

I have done a lot of laminating with various glues.

Do you need any gap filling quality's? If yes I would use West system epoxy for a bomb proof option but you mention steam bending. It is vital with west epoxy that the wood is dry 10-12% max moisture content.

I have used Balcotan a lot over the years and I thought Gorilla glue was similar. Balcotan is a PU glue that foams when it drys. It is very good if the wood is not perfectly dry and does not creep so ideal for laminating. I have used gallons of the stuff over the years and is my glue of choice for most work as it has a long open time yet relatively quick drying time. Also it is totally water proof and is used a lot in boat building.

For simple laminating a good D3 PVA should suffice.

My mate runs a joinery shop and they use expanding foam to stick everything!!! you just need to make sure its well clamped obviously!!:thumbup:

+1 this stuff is awesome stuff. Another one- I had to stick some edging strips on worktops not long ago and I used trade strength evo stik contact adhesive which seems good stuff, but im not sure if it will suit what you are doing?

I'd go with the foaming stuff that comes in tubes the same as silicone.

Does the Balcotan have any flexibility when dry and where do you get it

I steam bend 3 Pieces of ash each 1/2 ins thick into about a 10 ins radius then glue them together , but they always seem to be under a bit of strain

I don't think any glues are especially flexible. They either hold or they don't. I have found West epoxy and Balcotan better than most at holding :001_smile: