near balance point rigging tutorial

dadio

This is more of a formal "training" video, which was produced in 2009.. It was produced on a shoe string budget (american slang for VERY LOW)... showing graphics with voice over and shots from the field demonstrating the principles in action.. Might seem pretty basic to many.. Still a challenge to get these concepts across so that even a novice can understand them... I would like to use better examples, and 3-d animation etc if I had the budget and time.. this will have to do for now..

Your feedback is welcome..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07DiSk74vUE]Near Balance Point Rigging Tutorial.mov - YouTube[/ame]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it and enjoyed it, picked up a couple of things i have subsequently used,

the only thing that could be a cause for concern(and it's just a thought) is that someone inexperienced could do this and find a butt end flicking up into their face or swinging back into them at the trunk, finding or guessing the balance point is a tricky thing. I was rigging a large oak soon after watching this and I used some techniques that you were showing for experimental purposes and found that I had to re-rig a few to tying into the butt because i did not like what they may have done. Anyway thanks for posting.

The Americans went off on this one... over 80 posts / 2000 views so far, some nasty stuff... some funny too...

Where did you get 80 replies.to this video? I saw this on tree buzz yesterday and you had just 3. Can I see a link please?

Edited by gibbon

Nice vid Daniel. Probably the first of your videos I didn't cringe all the way through. Amazing what a lack of bravado will do. Some of the pieces didn't go exactly to plan, but then how often do they go "exactly" to plan in a real working environment?

I've known about this technique for a while, but fear of what the butt can do if the hinge breaks early has prevented me from using it a lot. Usually only use it on near horizontal pieces where the fulcrum is easy to estimate. The rest of the time I opt for a tag-line/spider leg combo. The way I set my spider-legs only takes a second or two more. (short piece of lowering rope with a prusik in the middle attached to main lowering line). Just a matter of tying 2 clove hitches. Easily adjusted by sliding the prusik.

Had a quick look through the same thread on Treebuzz, can't believe how bad the flaming is there. It's out of control. Some very personal attacks. Fair play to Mr Bullman nipping it in the bud here.