Moving to New Zealand

Hi looking for some advice in regaurds to moving to New Zealand. Currently I'm a team leader for a company have good level of experience in all level of arbiculture. My wife and I have decide that we would like to move to New Zealand with our family. We think that a skilled migrant visa is the way to go but not sure really and not sure where to try and end up, it seems that there is more jobs in Aukcland then any where but again not sure.

I now there is a mass of information on the web but some times talking to real people is just easier! So looking for any help, advice or general input from any one out there or from there or is doing the same really on jobs, areas to live, the application process and how you have found it?

Cheers Dave

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replies will come along but meanwhile there is several threads to browse through in this subject that may give you information.

I have visited several times. Auckland is nice enough but an overpriced location. You will get a better NZ lifestyle elsewhere for a family for your $

Just as examples

Tauranga

Gisborne

Nelson

Dunedin.

Wellington and their surrounding regions.

Taupotreeman on here moved to NZ and is based nr taupo.

There are others as well

Tell us a bit more about what you want. Have you been there yet?

Edited by Goaty

Looking for a nice location in or near a large town really bit of a country boy so love the out doors and rural lifestyle and so do the family. Havnt been there yet bit of a crazy if we don't do it soon we never will thing going on, plus the kids are still young so best for them now we think. Got a lot of friends who have who have been and some that have stayed we are now then quizzing a lot! Have herd nice thing about Wellington and that it's windy. I now that arborist are on the short term skill shortage list but our time line is about two year to get there so am a bit worry that that might not be the case then! Might have to do a bit of Arb talk stalking then for taupotreeman and see if I can rack his brain! Cheers Goaty

Think you need to check it out your self , personally I didn't like Auckland but only spent two weeks there , too warm and humid for me and I'm not really a city boy though , spent a week in mangere at a mates house which was an eye opener and a week in Auckland centre all a great experience though ! , I did like Wellington and most of the South Island.

The climates and scenery change in regions very quickly ,you can have glaciers to rain forests and almost desert in a day's drive.. There coasts are stunning and great fishing and surfing.

I'm a country boy. Whilst the north island is very nice the south is our choice. Fresh air everywhere except Christchurch. It's a bit too British for me and its in a stale spot fresh air wise sometimes.

As much as my wife and I love NZ. We have spent 9-10 month there in the last 11 years. It's too slow a pace for me. You seem to be waiting for people to get on with it.

Also it has its social and domestic issues which don't show up in the uk. Read the NZ news such as nzherald or nztv websites for an idea of reality.

Nelson, is a nice place. I worked for Treescape, but then got bored of the big company bull. You can pretty much go anywhere and go through the phone book, won't take long to get a job. If Chris still has Tree Tech, I think, he was OK, also Tree Fellas are an interesting bunch, Nick of NZ Tree Climbers, but this was a while ago.....Is slow paced right enough, and they don't do sausages at all well

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Arbtalk mobile app

Cool thanks for the info it just what I'm after paints a real picture for us. It's good to now about the jobs as though I might have been tied into Auckland so that cool as open up the option. Wellington does sounds pretty mad with that mix of sencery! An hell the sausages thing going to be a bugger as it my girls favourite but there live, I suppose cider is the same?

I enjoy it here. Where ever you go it will probably be beautiful. The pople are generally very friendly. The climate does change alot..These are huge generalisations but might help:

West coast is always wetter. North down to Rotorua(ish) is generally quite hot and muggy in summer (not so bad in coastal locations). Central North Island is a bit colder in winter. Bottom of the North is windy and a bit colder. Top of the South Island is a very nice climate. West coast of the South Island is very very wet. Central/Eastern South Island is cold in winter and dry. South of the South Island is cold iin winter and wet.

Food is expensive, very expensive. Rent is affordable if you live away from Auckland. House prices are booming so the house you look at now could be worth 15-30% more in a year. Power are phones/internet and electronic goods are expensive but getting cheaper with increased competition.

Lifestyle is fantastic, great place to raise kids. Hardest part of living here is in the middle of winter sitting on Facebook seeing all my old mates in the pub gardens enjoying the (not so) great British summer.

If missing the beer garden one of the hard bits I can live with that! Thanks for the break down dead handy it's a bit off a mission deciding where really but really exciting! How's the price of loving compared with the wage for arborist can you live or is it a matter of just getting by do you think? I now wages vary but just again some more generalisation to have a ball part idea for a starting point.