Architectural drawings for log cabins / timber frame houses.

harvey b davison

Hi everyone, i need some help.

I am studying a btec construction course. As one of my assignments, i have to do a complete set of architect drawings for either a large 4 bed log cabin or timber frame bungalow. I have to include all specs and cover everything from best types of groundworks to best roof covering. I have to cover best type of heating, insulation, absolutely everything and the costings as well.

I have to go really indepth with everything connected with the build. So my question is where is the best place to get hold of as much info as possible.

I could do with some sample plans, costings etc if possible.

I know the internet is full of info, i could just do with narrowing it down abit.

If any timber framers or log cabin builders fancy getting in touch, and helping me out, then that would really be much appreciated.:thumbup:

Thanks

Harvey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That's quite a tall order.

Start with the scale. 1:50 for detail and 1:100 for elevations, plan & outline/overview.

Decide what you would like to build then research this. Personally, I like wriggly tin roofs so thats a start.

Do a 1:100 rough of your building and then look closely how it would work. Aspect is another point as you want to gain maximum sun in winter and present a low profile to the North & East.

Decide if you want any renewable system. Again I like solar hot water and unbder-floor heating be it wet or electric power.

Allow for a minimum of 185mm of insulation in your roof, 100 in the walls and similar in the floor.

Footings should satisfy the local regs which is normally 900mm deep x 600mm wide. Do you put this on a stone plinth or brick. What DPC should you use, eg plastic or Staffordshire 'blue' bricks.

Then your timber wall structure; log type as in a Canadian cabin or uprights clad in weatherboard with insulation etc. Similar the roof and wriggly tin of the colour of your choice. Oh, and will you make nice structural trusses in your roof for all to see?

Drainage runs, mains water, gravity hot water system over mains pressure system.......

That's just a start.

I built a 24' x 36' cabin in Tasmania, 25 years ago, on a stone base with os toilet in an old engine crate fed by a spring water syphon & a hand-pumped solar hot water system on the out-house roof.

Hope this helps!

codlasher

ref: ....have to include all specs and cover everything from best types of groundworks to best roof covering. I have to cover best type of heating, insulation, absolutely everything and the costings as well.

"Best" can be highly subjective.... so I guess you might need to consider best asthetics, best one the planners might allow (usually in keeping with other buildings in the surrounding area), best environmental materials inc embodied energy, recyclability, best to Passivehaus standard....

Big bit of homework you have on your hands there!.... Good luck!

Cheers, Steve

Roof pitch makes or breaks a building. Also you need a minimum of 8' from the bottom of your cold water tank to the shower faucet for a reasonable shower pressure. Higher is better but not lower. Consider a downstairs shower if you are constrained with height!

codlasher

Roof pitch makes or breaks a building. Also you need a minimum of 8' from the bottom of your cold water tank to the shower faucet for a reasonable shower pressure. Higher is better but not lower. Consider a downstairs shower if you are constrained with height!

codlasher

We got rid of our cold water tank because mains pressure is plenty enough.... the shower is very powerful.

cheers, steve

Cheers steve and codlasher.

What i have in my mind at the moment, and what i would like to get to work is this:

Proper canadian style log cabin ( but must have 4 bedrooms )

the roof i quite like the idea of one of those grass roofs

I would somehow like a woodburner to provide heating and cooking (aga) and hot water, i also like to incorporate solar power where possible.

I would like a rainwater system to collect water for toilet use

All windows and doors to be double glazed in hardwood,

waste water to go into a cesspit tank, then collected by tanker, ( am i right into thinking this could be turned into liquid fertilizer ?)

what im not sure on yet is footings and how the cabin would sit on them.

Any thoughts so far ?

What i have in my mind at the moment, and what i would like to get to work is this:

I would somehow like a woodburner to provide heating and cooking (aga) and hot water, i also like to incorporate solar power where possible.

waste water to go into a cesspit tank, then collected by tanker, ( am i right into thinking this could be turned into liquid fertilizer ?)

Any thoughts so far ?

Hi I am looking at log houses at the moment and have submitted a drawing to the council to see if we could build it .Looking at square logs about 140x275 but will probably have to have an inner wall for cavity insulation to meet buildin regs.This seems stupid when it comes from the artic in finland.

Anyway have a look at artichouse.fi lots of ideas there and plenty of styles and log types.Another site is roveneimi-loghouse.com.I have had corespondence with both these companies and they are most helpful.

Hope this is of some help.Cheers Chris.

Any thoughts so far ?

Depends on what your goals are as to what you choose to do. If its eco and top efficiency then forget the woodburner and go for a log or pellet boiler or a heat pump. A green roof is good but you'll need ground mounted solar panels which will be outside of your house design. For a 4 bed house you'll produce alot of waste water and be emptying the cess pit every few weeks. Maybe better to have a septic tank with the outfall running through a reed bed?

For details on any green building concepts, have a look on the greenbuildingforum.co.uk for the latest thinking.

If you have the budget then Chief Architect 10 is the dogs danglies.

Architectural Home Design Software by Chief Architect

I used the trial mode to design my home. Trouble is you can save anything so I did a complete shell & printed it out & then rebooted & did each detailed bit then printed it out. Each attempt is only a 1 hour session so you need to play with it to get it done withing that time. It will give you a cutting list of every bit used if needed.