looking for a rare wood

gobbypunk

Hi guys hear is one for you some yrs ago I was next door to an old boy at a craft fair he was making coffee tables and clocks and some of them were made from seria buckeye not sure on the spelling so this wood was just so cool the colours in it yellow black etc been looking for some ever since have any of you lot seen any know where I can get some

Thanks Mark

yes ok i did not mean the same species.

the term buckeye commonly refers to any of these species.

Aesculus Glabra, yellow buckeye

Aesculus Flava, Ohio buckeye

Aesculus Pavia, red buckeye

Aesculus Californica, California buckeye

Aesculus sylvatica, painted buckeye

Aesculus Parviflora, bottlebrush buckeye

all these grow in north america.

What you are seeing is what the Americans call Buckeye Burl (burr to us). It is indeed from species of Horse Chestnut (Aesculus) that grow in the USA and it is usually cut from right at the bottom of the butt or even into the root. The wood spalts into a fantastic range of colours but is very soft and needs coating with a very tough finish or stabilising throughout. Not unusual to find embedded stones either, as I have personally found out to the detriment of a saw blade. Closely related to our native Horse chestnut but the homegrown stuff just doesn't produce a comparable material. Which is a shame seeing as Buckeye Burr is so horrifically expensive!